The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Those ratings are amazing! 8.2 in the key 18 to 49 demo is crazy. This matches the series high. It beat the Olympics 8.2 to 6.9. Wow! I agree that no other show could pull that off. TWD is a cultural phenomenon.

These are outstanding considering that the episode was shown on XBOX the day before.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Who knows. However, I think that that Kirkman should continue to do his own thing. Rick's vulnerability is one of the things that makes TWD different from other shows. He isn't the typical slightly vulnerable tough guy leading man that we get on other predictable tv shows. Rick has never fully recovered from all his loses and the fall out of the decisions that he has made. He remains damaged which is realistic given the ongoing trauma of the Zombie Apocalypse. I know that one difference between comic book Rick and tv Rick is that the comic book version has mostly given up on "right vs. wrong," but I don't think that is the way to go with tv Rick.

• Members

I think a lot of people will always see Rick as weak, but there isn't much to be done about that at this point. I like that Rick has flaws and can show vulnerability and emotion. That's rare for a lead male character. If people would rather have Daryl, they're welcome to him; I'll keep Rick.

• Members

Daryl is a sidekick which is why it is easy for some people to love him, but I don't buy for a second that his fans or anyone else seriously sees him as a replacement for Rick. Rick is the show's moral compass. His trauma represents the tragedy of living in the Zombie Apocalypse. Unlike other tv show heroes, Rick gets knocked down and does not pop back up, rather he struggles to his feet and staggers on.

Talking Dead's ratings were also outstanding, 3.0 in the key 18-49 demo.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

Don't read too much into that poll, of course Rick would come in last, he's incredibly weak right now both physically and mentally. Even more so than Michonne with her Rick like hallucinations (they're meant to be!) and much more so than Korl, who has youth on his side.

I don't like Rick because I think Andrew Lincoln is a mediocre actor and that Rick is one of those tell, not show characters. He's the bestest leader in the world yet we don't actually see that, all we see really is episode after episode of indecisiveness. I like a layered lead character but perpetual self-doubt is not entertaining.

• Members

I don't think Rick is presented as the best leader ever. I think he screws up a lot, but most of the others know they probably wouldn't do any better. In that world there are few easy answers.

Article about why it's important that TWD has episodes just focusing on a few characters. I don't entirely agree with this, as I think a lot of the split episodes don't work unless they have people we care about, but I do agree that sometimes it's better not to feel you need to fit every character into an episode. Last night was much more powerful for only focusing on three.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/02/10/the-one-thing-hollywood-should-be-learning-from-amcs-the-walking-dead/

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I've been way too busy to watch much tv lately but I finally was able to catch up after work...

I hate Carl so much!!!! Why is he still here?!?! I remember when my boyfriend watched one episode with me(all he ever watched of the Walking Dead) and he kept saying he'd love to see Carl "accidentally" have a hand grenade taped to his face. God knows I feel the same way!

Too much Rick in the last one. He always has to be the hero. I thought he was such a hypocrite when he sent Carol away. And he is way too indulgent when it comes to Carl.

Can't wait for Carol's inevitable return! She's been my favorite character here. Even though I've felt like they ruined Carol. I've seen Melissa McBride in other things and she was always in a very supporting role in mediocre, at best, projects. I remember how she used to have that red frizzy hair. Part of the reason I'm surprised Carol wasn't killed off is because no one even seemed to know who McBride was before she got the role on the Walking Dead. For that reason alone I wasn't sure if she'd even get past the first season!

Edited by Mathewson

• Members

I love Rick and I think Andrew Lincoln is so incredibly underrated.

Rick has evolved or devolved as a character in a sense. I think he's an unwilling leader and he has sort of taken on that role now by default. And I think he can be self righteous and a hypocrite. But I think those are things combined with his indecisiveness and perceived weakness at times, that makes him such a complex character. I like how it was I think Carl pointed out to him how he allowed them to just sit at the prison waiting knowing the Governor and his group were ultimately going to come after them and how all he cared about was growing vegetables. I think that prison was a safe haven for all of them and Rick just wanted some sense of normalcy.

And FINALLY after what 3 seasons, Michonne is finally coming into her own. I feel we learned more about her in that one episode than we did all the prior seasons. She was just incredible.

And Carl, I have gone from hating the kid to actually appreciating the growth he's shown. His realizing he really needed his dad despite everything, was a huge moment in the episode.

• Members

I agree with Ann. So great to see you post here, JA. And it's always nice to see more Rick fans. Sometimes I think there are few of us.

Michonne has been around since the start of season 3. (seen in shadow in the season 2 finale)

A few interviews.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2014/02/qa-danai-gurira-michonne/#more-906211477

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/09/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-midseason-premiere/

Danai, Andrew, and Norman Reedus are each on a TV Guide cover (the whole "we want you to buy all three to get us more money" gimmick). It's nice to see them getting such recognition, at least.

• Members

I don't think Rick had the wrong idea at the prison - Hershel supported it and he was right. They could build a stable community, and eventually they'll need to attempt one again. Those kind of safe zones are going to be the new normal. Their fatal mistake was leaving the Governor alive when he knew their location.

I sympathize with Rick a lot. And yeah, I think that whole episode does nothing but keep pushing Rick and Michonne. Danai Gurira should win for that scene in the herd.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't even get what choice Rick and the other had other than trying to build a life at the prison. How could they live constantly on the move with a baby? And with the other children and older people who joined them from Woodbury?

No way do I see them doing a Rick/Michonne, but only because TPTB are fools. :) Together they would be the Zombie Apocalypse power couple.