DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"Is there any character in all of daytime television that is more remarkable than Julie Olson? [She’s] sort of super-woman whose weaknesses of character mix well with the strength of her sensuality, whose unwitting villainy never keeps us from sympathizing with her deep-down sincerity and need for love. She is the ultimate sexual pawn of fate. Susan Seaforth, the bombshell who plays her, has so much animal magnetism, so much female gutsiness, that in her scenes it’s hard to take one’s eyes off her for a second."

I had to quote this from the review Carl posted because I agree with every word. And to think DAYS threw the character (and the actress) down the toilet just a few years later, turning her into a grandmother in her early 30s and then sidelining her into dreary, cliched mother-daughter conflict with the newly aged Hope. DAYS has made more boneheaded mistakes than any soap in history -- the 1980 reboot was a big one -- but for me, the mishandling of Julie (and Susan Hayes) ranks #1. 

Edited by teplin

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for posting that. I'd never read it, but it's interesting how even-keeled JER comes off there. As ridiculous as his show got, I really and truly believe that he knew EXACTLY what he was doing during that first Days run. It just had such an energy.

• Members

Thanks for posting! That was at the tail end of his spectacular first era. I still think he sabotaged it on his way out. I didn't realize he was at DAYS until November of '97. Nearly every storyline took a nosedive around September and even Michael Logan smelled sabotage, as he admitted in his Best & Worst of '97 column...

(Good Christ, the random soap opera things I remember, yet I barely remember what I ate yesterday). 

19 years later, and I still don't know what Eric's dark secret was. Unless they're referring to that rewrite for him. Does anyone else remember around early '98 when you saw someone stalking Eric around Salem Place, and based on the boots & jeans, you would think it was a woman. Then when they finally revealed the person, it was a guy from Colorado and there was a one-day storyline about some faux rape allegations or something. Whatever they initially planned for him was swept under the rug. That must've been Sally Sussman-Morina's decision. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• 2 weeks later...