DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I saw the Bell interview. Conboy is a strange kind of guy. A lot of people like him and a lot of people don't. I think Eric Braeden fought with Conboy in his early days on the show. He was replaced by Wes Kenney when he left to do Capitol. I have seen pics of Conboy in magazines on dates with people like Donna Mills etc.....but I also read/heard that he really was into blonde guys and that's why he would often cast them. If you look at the late 70's/ early 80's cast of Y&R most of the men were blonde Kevin, Jack, Lucas, Paul, Greg, Andy, Cash etc......On Capitol he casted blonde Shea Farrell who later went on to Hotel.

I saw some 1965 episodes of Days and they were OK, but a bit slow. Bell said that when he told Corday he would take over, he said he watched the show and saw a lot he did not like and then set about making changes. The show was only give another few weeks to improve and several people thought Bell was crazy to agree to sign on.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think for Conboy, Donna Mills and his other female dates were merely "beards," to help him conform with societal pressure of the day. Now, it would be less likely to raise eyebrows from him or anyone else to bring a date of the same gender.

I watched DAYS from its inception, and have many 1965 eps in my collection, and I cannot say it was bad during the first year, only...uninvolving. Fortunately, Bell was able to work magic on DAYS in 1966 and helped raise the ratings considerably. As I wrote in an earlier message, soap fans way back then did not even know had good we had it. So many of the shows were magnificent in the 1960s and '70s.

• Members

I do think a revival of the soaps is possible, but the creative team involved would have to have talent, creative integrity,and understand the medium. Hacks like Jean P., Charles Pratt, Dena Higley, and their ilk should not be allowed anywhere near the writers' room, unless it's to deliver coffee.

If I had to take a chance on a writer/producer to launch a new daytime drama, I'd give someone like Shonda Rhimes a chance. Her primetime series confirm that she can spin long-term continuing storylines pinned on character development and interpersonal relationships. Is she the best writer on the planet? Maybe not, but she is certainly better than anyone who has been writing daytime TV for the last twenty years, and a wide  audience responds to the material she produces.  (It would be so important for a new serial to be successful.)  Writer Jonathan Kellerman, who pens murder mysteries, would be another one of my choices, if we were to launch a modern-day crime serial a la THE EDGE OF NIGHT. Kellerman is very prolific, writes fascinating, hair-raising tales of suspense, and has a solid grasp on human nature. Plots are key to his novels, but he never stints on character development or relationship drama, either. I've been hooked on Kellerman's continuing series of novels involving Dr. Alex Deleware and his associates at the LAPD for a whopping 30 years.

Is that the episode is which she tells Stuart that she has been talking to her friend about going away to Colorado Women's College? I have that episode as well. I thought that was before Jennifer's death, but with my ancient, fading memory, I could very well be wrong. :)

• Members

vetsoapfan, I was curious - what did you think of the Horton kids like Sandy, Scott, and Mike? It seems like the show gave up on most of them (and then when they brought Mike back with Michael Weiss wasn't he all but a brand new character).

• Members

Heather North was interesting as Sandy Horton, and had  a screen presence which was lacking in the later actresses who played the role. When the show brought back the character many years later, I don't think TPTB really knew what to do with her, and were not really committed to keeping her around longterm. The same with Scotty. They aged him way too quickly, and without a lot of point, for he did not last long, and the show never mined the potential the character could have had. It was like the writers just wanted to throw a Horton on-screen, but didn't actually know how to weave them successfully into the mix, and gave up after brief, half-hearted tries. Sarah Horton also fits into this category. If they had had Deidre Hall debut as Sandy Horton in 1976, and given Sandy the stories and attention Marlena Evan received, it would have been a longterm shot in the arm for the Horton clan.

After Wesley Eure was fired, Mike stopped being Mike, and subsequent actors in the role (Michael Weiss being the best of the lot) were basically playing an entirely different character just going by the same name. Like Dusty Donovan and Meg Snyder on ATWT, whose later incarnations bore no resemble whatsoever to the characters as originally created and played.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

They had a few good actors cast as David, my favorite being Richard Guthrie, and the character was well-written and well-used under Pat Falken Smith and even, to an extent, under Ann Marcus. In 1976, we had Wesley Eure as Mike and Richard Guthrie as David, and it looked like the next generation of Hortons was on solid footing. That did not last long, but it was good while it did last.

• Members

Even though the characters were ridiculously aged,Wesley and Richard were popular.I recall Wse claiming he was dropped because he was gay, but was it Richard Guthrie's choice to leave or was he fired? This was all around the Days massacre of 1980 so it is a bit confusing.

• Members

I was watching the 2 part Chips Roller Disco episode from 1979 last night and Wesley made a cameo in it toward the end. I also spotted Tom Hallick who played Brad Eliot on Y&R. The episode was a time capsule in all it's cheesy glory. Several celebs from TV, film, and music appeared. Leif Garrett was the main guest star and sang a number at the disco party. He looked like he was melted and poured in those satin pants......LOL

• Members

Eileen Barnett as Stephanie Woodruff, Josh Taylor as Chris KositchekMary Frann as Amanda Howard , Joseph Gallison as Dr. Neil Curtis in 1974Susan Flannery as Dr. Laura Spencer Horton, Edward Mallory as Bill Horton

Susan Flannery as Dr. Laura Spencer Horton, Edward Mallory as Bill Horton

Mary Frann as Amanda Howard , Joseph Gallison as Dr. Neil Curtis in 1974

Eileen Barnett as Stephanie Woodruff, Josh Taylor as Chris Kositchek

• Members

A still from the Days piloy with Mary Jackson as Alice Horton.Does anyone know why she was replaced?Marie Cheatham as Marie Horton, Macdonald Carey as Tom Horton, Mary Jackson as Alice Horton --

Marie Cheatham as Marie Horton, Macdonald Carey as Tom Horton, Mary Jackson as Alice Horton --

Marie Cheatham as Marie Horton, Macdonald Carey as Tom Horton, Mary Jackson as Alice Horton --

• 2 weeks later...