YRBB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This seemed like an innocent mistake to me. There are lots of people who see the holocaust through an American lens without meaning harm.  It doesn't make sense to them that it can be about race if both groups look white. She also apologized, so I wish people would give her a break. Why draw blood from people who aren't actively malicious if they are willing to learn?

• Members

I understand where that thinking comes from if you don't fully understand the Holocaust, but it's dead wrong and I'm glad she was forcefully corrected. I don't think she needs to lose her job over it unless she triples down, and I do think it's an unfortunate look that she is suspended but to my knowledge McCain was never disciplined in public.

• Members

I'm conflicted by the cultural response to Holocaust comparisons.

One the one hand when people like RFK Jr make comparisons between vaccination efforts and the Holocaust, I usually write them off as being hyperbolic and ill-informed.  As a Jewish man with relatives effected by the Holocaust, I don't think it belittles or denies their experience if some cultural/political figure is stupid with their choice of words.

On the other hand, I researched the study that set off Whoopi's comments on The View.  They were discussing a small school district that had considered a ban on teaching about the history of the Holocaust.  In contrast, The View cited a study done in 2020 (linked below) that 63% of those born after 2000 could not correctly state that 6 million Jews died as a result of the Holocaust.  That made me think of the Satayana quote, "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it", which makes the context of Whoopi's misinformation all the worse.

Obviously, Whoopi's actual remark was more nuanced than the headline.  She was making the point that it was not about race, but man's inhumanity toward man.  And, Adam Feldman had an interesting take that calling Jews a race, as opposed to an ethnicity, is part of the hate-filled reasoning the German government used for the mass extinction.   However, some boundary must be set about how much misinformation any network is willing to support.  Therefore, I agree with the suspension.

Although there is also a suspicious side of me that thinks it is mighty convenient that during February sweeps, while the View is competing with the Olympics on NBC, Whoopi will return right before the end of the period, which will probably draw more viewers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/survey-finds-shocking-lack-holocaust-knowledge-among-millennials-gen-z-n1240031

Edited by j swift

• Members

She was definitely wrong. I wonder how it happened though. Did her people not brief her on the days topic? So much of what was happening in Germany involved the concept of "the master race", which wasn't about being white but being Aryan.  I'm just surprised that something in her mind didn't click on that during the discussion because it's so basic. I feel like I've known they were trying to build a race of tall blondes with blue eyes since I was 10.  Not to mention how everyone knew it was a big F*ck You to Hitler when Jesse Owens won gold in Berlin.

It must be hard to have these kind of conversations off the cuff though.  I can only imagine the mistakes I would make if I had to talk about controversial subjects everyday in a back and forth format. Still when you have an audience you have to be on top of things or consequences follow.

• Members

I recently read that during the McCain era the producers abandoned the legendary morning meeting where the hosts develop the Hot Topics because it became too contentious, and now each host is briefed individually based upon how much information they want ahead of time. 

Edited by j swift