edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

Feeling more than a little nostalgic for ATWT today. And at least with Holden I had a starting point. I wouldn't have a clue about searching out the others. Other than I doubt Luke got anywhere near a motorcycle on the show.

Re: David Harbour/Shanks....he might have started as early as '97. They still had a fair amount of extras running around then. 

3 hours ago, P.J. said:

Feeling more than a little nostalgic for ATWT today. And at least with Holden I had a starting point. I wouldn't have a clue about searching out the others. Other than I doubt Luke got anywhere near a motorcycle on the show.

Re: David Harbour/Shanks....he might have started as early as '97. They still had a fair amount of extras running around then. 

Thanks, I thought so.

Can anyone fill me in about Quinlan and Switzer's story? I'm drawing a blank and I'm trying to put a little character information in the ATWT cast list.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:48 PM, NothinButAttitude said:

I still get upset how the sets looked so lavish on both GL and ATWT about 2004-05, and then went to the pits of hell around 2006 onwards. 

I wanted the same too. I wanted Holly and Ed to get the final scene in the Bauer kitchen with them saying something impactful and powerful, and shutting out the lights before the cameras panned over outside the kitchen window to a shot of the lighthouse in the distance. The end. Reva and Josh shouldn't've gotten the final scene. That was meant for the Bauers. 

Minus the gorilla, AW did have a decent finale, which was produced by Goutman and JP! I don't know what the f-ck happened to them following that b/c the final weeks of ATWT were abysmal. I don't hate the finale like most, but many of the characters' endings were horrid. 

Wheeler had wanted Peter Simon back for some time and they did everything they could do to get him. They wanted PS's Ed Bauer back for the whole time that Sebastian was on. Simon felt he had been burned or mistreated both by Rauch first & then by Conboy & he was never one to suffer fools lightly. Courtney even tried to help out. So, Holly & Ed was definitely on Wheeler's wishlist. They even let that mess with their timing.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:59 PM, victoria foxton said:

I have a Martha CD & I love it!

On 7/19/2019 at 1:22 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

Has anyone tried to petition Procter & Gamble/PGP for permission to start/run an official As The World Turns Twitter page?  Maybe a photo like this is already on the Daytime Emmy Twitter page but I feel like photos and video clips should be accessible in one dedicated space for the show.

It seems to me that the thing to do would be to go through Alina Adams. She lists "Online Soap Opera Continuations" among her items & has PGP's AW Today & enhanced e-books with topics that cover GL & SB & more. http://alinaadams.com/

1 hour ago, Donna B said:

It seems to me that the thing to do would be to go through Alina Adams. She lists "Online Soap Opera Continuations" among her items & has PGP's AW Today & enhanced e-books with topics that cover GL & SB & more. http://alinaadams.com/

Even though individual efforts are greatly appreciated, I mentioned Twitter because it's a far more accessible platform and tend to get a lot more traffic than most eponymous websites these days, I'm afraid.  ATWT and many other soaps need a highly visible platform to help keep the memory of these shows alive.  No offense, but these soaps are not going to get much sunlight being tucked away on a website.  

Y&R sucks as a show these days but it generates a pretty respectable following that keep the show visible (as terrible as it is) via its official Twitter page.  I'm pretty sure the show's Twitter feed gets a lot more traffic and interest than most other sites on other platforms.  These soaps, especially the canceled ones need visibility if they are to be remembered.

JMO.

4 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

ATWT and many other soaps need a highly visible platform to help keep the memory of these shows alive....JMO.

Understood.

I remember when Martha Byrne came back. Suddenly singing Bonnie Raitt ''I Can't Make You Love Me"." All over Oakdale.  As Holden would conveniently see Lilly singing it. Still it's a great song. And Martha's rendition was great. 

Edited by victoria foxton

I looked more closely at alinaadams.com & she has a twitter feed on there:

Later that same year, I did the same for the newly canceled Guiding Light via an even more innovative format, Twitter, as one character, Mindy Lewis Bauer, continued sharing the lives and loves of her friends and neighbors with the show's fans.

I believe that P&G gave her permission to do "AWToday" & now they have given her permission to do "Mindy's Twitter". Looking into a twitter feed for ATWT doesn't look too far away, if you ask  me.

It would be great if P&G would give Alina Adams permission to run an official Twitter account or at least, someone equally dedicated if she doesn't have the time to spare. These shows deserve that much.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, victoria foxton said:

I remember when Martha Byrne came back. Suddenly singing Bonnie Raitt ''I Can't Make You Love Me"." All over Oakdale.  As Holden would conveniently see Lilly singing it. Still it's a great song. And Martha's rendition was great. 

Oh wow...what a gem!  I haven't seen this clip since it first aired. I love how they had Martha look more grown up and resemble previous Lily, Heather Rattray. 

Edited by Soapsuds

I spoke to Alina Adams & was shocked to learn that once P&G took ATWT off the air, they pulled the plug out from under her on AW Today & on Mindy's Twitter Feed! She pointed out to me, though, that they couldn't stop you from doing an unofficial twitter feed. I liked her thinking naughty thoughts!

On 11/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

Apparently, there's a fake death hoax on Twitter involving actress and composer Billie Eilish, who is the daughter of Maggie Baird, who played Dr.Taylor Baldwin, briefly an antagonist toward Lyla and Casey Peretti and Tom and Margo Hughes.

I missed this post at the time - I had no idea she was Billie Eilish's mother. There is something of a resemblance. Apparently she and her husband (who was also on soaps - Patrick O'Connell) went on Howard Stern today with her and her brother and revealed to her live on-air that she was conceived via IVF. That's...a unique way to reveal such news. 

2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

I missed this post at the time - I had no idea she was Billie Eilish's mother. There is something of a resemblance. Apparently she and her husband (who was also on soaps - Patrick O'Connell) went on Howard Stern today with her and her brother and revealed to her live on-air that she was conceived via IVF. That's...a unique way to reveal such news. 

Whyyyy??