Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL..thanks! Charmane was certainly not the best actress. I don't understand why she just dispeared and no one mentioned her again...(especially since she was actually Whit's wife not Lisa.) Maybe they thought she played better as a counterpoint to BVB's snobby uptight Lisa, as opposed to Fultons' earthier zippier Lisa...( I just remember the new Lisa sitting around and taking all of Whit's crap..)

The clip of James is really typical James...all he did was stand around coming up with stupid schemes. Actually it was a waste of AH as he could play the Alan Spaulding (which is the type I think the Dobsons were thinking of) tortured anti hero/villain romantic guy better then most. But he just sat around twirling his mustache. I wish they had given him more depth.

I don't mind this Frannie and thought she and Hastings had good chemistry, especially since Frannie and Bob were the only Hughes family left at that time....(Tom was off on his own really and didnt seem part of the family then.) Amazing how fast the next producer and the writers built up the Hughes family so fast and it seemed they never left.

• Members

Was this when Frannie had her eating disorder story?

Deep down I always thought of Frannie as a sad character - sad backstory, sad relationships. Julianne played it frankly/bluntly and MES played it as a little bit peppier, but Terri seemed to just play more of the sadness (I guess she was a little happier later on).

I hadn't realized they really were the only Hughes left on the show at this time. No wonder it seems so disjointed. The Hughes were ATWT, from start to end.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Tom was still on but really, a Hughes in name only with Deas playing him. Babs was stuck in the endless James thing and rarely even had scenes with Kim at this point much less Bob. Nancy and Chris were gone. Yea it was depressing and weird and now I know why my Mom quit watching during the Dobsons.

• Members

I think Aunt Mary was introduced near the end of Douglas Marland's outlines, and I don't his successors knew quite how to write for all the characters so they started to be eased out.. starting with Hutch/Debbie/Woody/Aunt Mary.. and I think Emma's fiance Ned shortly thereafter.

• Members

Marland seemed to forget his own rules at the end of his tenure.None of the characters had any link to the Hughes,Stewart and Snyder families.

Reading old newspaper articles I saw the name of Warren Swanson as Irna Phillips lawyer in her 1968 lawsuit against Screen Gems over ownership of DOOL.

Swansomn also worked for Irna as a co writer of ATWT. Talk about versatile.

The linked article mentions he also worked with Steve Babecki on a guide to Chicago museums. There was a Katherine Babecki who also wrote ATWT.Wonder if there was any connection?

Some of the info in the article is way off.He created 15 shows???

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000-05-17/news/0005170103_1_mr-swanson-mayor-richard-j-daley-city-attorney

Warren L. Swanson wore many hats--he was an attorney, a soap-opera writer and the co-author of well-known guides to Chicago. He dreamed up the idea of the first Easter Seal telethon and owned some prime real estate in the city.

"He was a Renaissance man," said his son, Sheridan Christopher. "He tried everything and he had a knack for it."

The 66-year-old South Loop resident who lived two doors away from Mayor Richard M. Daley died May 7 of a brain hemorrhage in Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago.

Mr. Swanson was born and lived most of his life in Chicago.

Mr. Swanson graduated from the University of Chicago and then Northwestern Law School. He at one time tutored former Gov. James Thompson through law school, his son said.

During the early part of his career, Mr. Swanson butted heads with the late Mayor Richard J. Daley. As one of two special prosecutors in a vote fraud probe 40 years ago, Mr. Swanson won convictions against three Democratic precinct workers who pleaded guilty to altering ballots in the 1960 election. Then, in 1968, when board members of a civic group he headed, the Citizens of Greater Chicago, decided to give the late mayor an award for "safeguarding lives and property" during the Democratic convention, Mr. Swanson resigned the group in protest.

But he considered himself a friend of the younger Daley and his wife, Maggie.

Mr. Swanson's partner of 17 years, Thomas Brown, called him "one of the finest attorneys I know."

Mr. Swanson helped the city of Palos Heights incorporate during the 1950s and then stayed on as the city attorney for 40 years.

It was while working as an attorney that Mr. Swanson landed a job writing for soap operas.

Back in the '60s, many of the well-known TV dramas were being created in Chicago. An attorney friend who had been asked to write a courtroom drama for "As the World Turns" was not interested and so he passed on the job to Mr. Swanson who took the assignment and ran with it. He became the lead writer for "As the World Turns" and "Another World" and helped create 15 other shows, including "Somerset."

In 1977, Mr. Swanson joined forces with Steve Babecki and wrote a 38-page guide to Chicago-area museums, "Museums of Chicago."

Mr. Swanson also owned such properties as the building housing the Ann Taylor store on Oak Street and he once owned the Helene Curtis building in the North Loop.

Survivors also include a grandson. Services were held Friday; the family is planning a celebration of his life at an as yet undetermined date in June.

• Members

The pace of the show sometimes stuns me. Not only does Iva tell Emma she was raped by cousin Josh and he was the father of her baby and then learns he's not her blood relative but, in the same scene, she learns that she was adopted and in the same scene Holden overhears, clearing the way for him to be with Lily. That's a lot of incest-removal for five minutes. It does seem a bit of an overkill how everyone has been adopted/not a relative and I would have expected Holden to be tormented a bit more but there is some lovely acting and you sort of just... go along with it.

Edited by YRBB