As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Long wrote friendships and strong male characters, which were a big part of AW's heyday. I think she would have been OK.

Marland may have too, but AW never really suited his ingenue-type focus. The thought of Josie as the new Lily/Laura/Morgan makes me queasy, because I wanted somebody to smack her in the face 10 years straight.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Who did you want to slap in the face? Lily? :P

I know for fact you wanna slap Courtney and my boo, Rosanna. :lol:

I agree. I think that Marland's friend, Lemay, squashed the whole ingenue-type female on AW, hence why female characters like Rachel, Cecile, Blaine, Felicia, Vicky, Paulina, Donna, Lorna, Lila, Cindy, etc. excelled while saccharine women like Alice, Sally, Brett, Lisa, Sofia, etc. flopped. If you were not flawed on this show, you flopped.

I can see the strong male characters that Long produced on GL [i.e. Billy, Josh, HB, Kyle, etc] but I am drawing blank on the friendships. On episodes from her era that that I've seen, I see friendships but again they were mediocre. Plus, her male/female friendships always had underlying feelings, like one party wanted to be with the other [i.e. Maureen/Fletcher OR Rick/Beth] and it wasn't just platonic [like Cass/Felicia, Ryan/Frankie].

• Members

You didn't like Josie?! I actually liked her until the end where they had her sleep with Cameron and becoming pregnant when Amanda and Gary were presumed dead. :rolleyes:

Oh and I keep forgetting about Reva/Phillip. Because that led to India giving Reva that epic read in the bathroom when she assumed Reva was trying to take Phillip and Kyle. :P I remember that clip from YT early on.

• Members

Thanks.

Marland's last few years had tons of short-term characters. I don't remember as many in his first few years.

That Alexandra Neil article Paul Raven posted mentioned how hard times are for actors in NYC. It just reminded me again of how many solid jobs for hungry actors were lost with the death of daytime in New York City. It makes me sad.

Nice photo of Ellen and David. Given that the show already had one indestructible couple, long-term I do think it was a big mistake to put her and David together so soon.

• Members

:lol:, Carl!

I thought the episode had cute bits. At least the ones that featured Tom/Margo, Bob/Kim, Lisa, and Nancy. I didn't care too much for Craig's segment b/c I always found Craig and Carly to be gross. At least on Craig's end. It was like Craig was obsessed with Carly, which always bothered me. Plus, Hunt Block's dry acting never appeased me. I only enjoyed him on GL as Ben but that was because he shook up Ross and Blake's marriage. But on ATWT, I didn't care for him. I guess because my mom and late grandmother, both huge and long term fans of the show, always felt he was not their Craig. Like many on the board have expressed, he was too skeevy to be Craig. I also skipped over Katie and Simon as I never cared for them [thanks to my utter hatred for 'Fluff' aka Katie]. And Holden and Lily were just meh. The younger characters segments were alright with me b/c this was a time of the show where I actually enjoyed all the younger characters and was invested in them.

• Members

Your mother and grandmother had it right.

I was being childish - you took the time to upload those and comment on them, and I'm sure a lot of people love that era. Sheffer and FMB are the two eras I just can't really watch, for one reason or another. I know the last 4-5 years of the show were likely worse overall, but I can sort of tolerate them as background noise.

• Members

I didn't upload those. I just found them on my YT feed and post them here. wink.png

You didn't hurt my feelings, Carl. I know your love for ATWT and disdain for Sheffer, so it's nothing new to me and I respect your honesty. I just shared the episode b/c it was one of the few episodes during Sheffer's reign that showcased the veterans. Mainly Nancy.