Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You may be referring to the Rauch years where he blazed lights at the actors, had the women in pastel pantsuits and loved the women being blond...that always made the show look so washed out and "fake" but the critics raved about it..saying he made GL looks like a Reinassaince painting..lol!

• Members

It's a similar problem Paul Rauch had at OLTL, especially at the end of his tenure there, when everything about the production - sets, lighting, costumes, makeup, you name it - became so garish-looking.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Gotta be right after the anniversary a Bob and Kim's wedding. Wagner wasn't on contract yet and Frannie was still pining over Kevin and not back from school. April 85?  

I LOVE meddlesome stern Nancy! This is before Marland wussed her out and had to be when Lemay is consulting as he loves him some meddling matriarchs. I can see her softing as the years go by and they wanted Kim to be the one dispensing love in one hand and "kiddo" with the other, but I wish she hadn't become quite so bland a grandma.  Wagner seems to enjoy this and is a better fit for it as she was never as warm as Charita Bauer. 

Added fun, this is when Lisa still had a thing for Bob, so she subtly tries to drive a wedge between Kim and Nancy and tells Kim to make kindney pie to get in with Nancy when she knows full well she hates it. Love bitchy Lisa but that didn't last long either when Marland comes and does tend to bland everyone out.

Edited by Mitch64

• Members

This episode had to air after end of April 1985 but before mid July because Harding's name started appearing after the 2 week April writers' strike along with producers Laibson and Bogard (who were strike writers) but before Jack Sowards and Janet Stampfl's names started appearing in June/July 85, replacing Laibson and Bogart.  I'm assuming Stampfl had also been one of the strike writers.  Not sure about Sowards who was an vet tv writer.

• Members

Thanks...I think this time is a very interesting time for ATWT...setting the table for Marland. I would love to hear more about Lemay and why he didn't stay and work with Marland. I think he has more of an edge to him, and as I mentioned, you could see him keeping Nancy true to her domineering character and edging Lisa back to manipulating things. 

• Members

Seven consecutive nominations (1986-1992) and a final nomination in 1999. These were the races

1986: Elizabeth Hubbard, Susan Lucci, Peggy McCay, Erika Slezak (winner), Kim Zimmer

1987: Elizabeth Hubbard, Susan Lucci, Frances Reid, Marcy Walker, Kim Zimmer (winner)

1988: Helen Gallagher (winner), Elizabeth Hubbard, Susan Lucci, Erika Slezak, Marcy Walker

1989: Jeanne Cooper (her first nomination), Elizabeth Hubbard, Susan Lucci, Marcy Walker (winner)

1990: Jeanne Cooper, Elizabeth Hubbard, Finola Hughes, Susan Lucci, Kim Zimmer (winner)

1991: Julia Barr, Jeanne Cooper, Elizabeth Hubbard, Finola Hughes (winner), Susan Lucci

1992: Jeanne Cooper, Elizabeth Hubbard, Susan Lucci, Erika Slezak (winner), Jessica Tuck

1999: Jeanne Cooper, Elizabeth Hubbard, Susan Lucci (winner), Melody Thomas Scott, Kim Zimmer

Maybe someone at CBS/P&G didn't put together very good submissions, who knows.

• Members
Posted (edited)

For me, 1991 is the real head-scratcher. 

I can justify Hubbard's loss in other years - some had more sensational storylines (rape, multiple personalities, etc.) or they had flashier reels; Helen Gallagher's might've been a pity win, since everyone knew RH was going down; and 1999 was basically a shitty year for lead actresses across the board - but how Finola Hughes won in a year when Hubbard, Barr, Cooper, and even Lucci had better material or gave more jaw-dropping performances...?  I mean, I'm sitting here, trying to think of something that FH did on GH that year that said "Emmy winning performance!," and I'm at a loss.  Mostly because GH itself was in such a sorry state, doing none of their actors any favors.

And I'm not saying all that to diss Finola, because I like her a lot!  I'm just mystified to this day how she won on a such bum year for her, for her character and for her show.

Edited by Khan