Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Katie was better written in her first year or two on the show when she did have scenes with Margo...when she was a little schemer and wasn't written as a heroine.

It seemed once she and Simon became well liked as a couple is when the show started propping her up.

The only time I liked her in the later years is when she and Reid were friends..and they bantered with one another.  It was what she and Henry should have been..but weren't.

• Members

Agreed. Yet another thing that Reid (the character) made pop on the show. While I am a NUKE fan, I did like what Reid added to the show. I always wonder though what they would've did with the character had the show not been canceled. 

But I hated Henry being Katie's lackey. I am so glad they tossed him in Barbara's orbit toward the end. The only thing I didn't like was making him James' newest seed and his mother being the person to finally kill James. That was a waste of everyone's time. 

So many decent stunt castings happened toward the end that could've been legacy characters and JP and Goutman put those poor actors in stupid roles. 

I had wish they would've recast Stuart Damon as Don or Grant to give our poor Lisa a happy ending at the end of the show. And Billy Warlock could've easily been a recast Scott Eldridge or one of the other Snyder brothers (Caleb or Seth). Or even Ryder. Just the possibilities. 

• Members

don’t know why they even bothered.

and as far as dramatic — not knowing her father could (should) have been a real issue for katie; finding out that margo was the one who pulled the plug could have created an emotionally authentic rift between them. 

instead it was as though tptb said, ‘well, i guess we have to say something,’ then just checked it off the list. 

• Members

This forthcoming soap The Gates and P&G’s involvement has gotten me thinking about how much does P&G plan to acknowledge the existence of their IP. Especially since they will be collaborating with CBS (most of us in this thread will recognize the irony) on it. From time to time a pristine clip of a scene from ATWT (I don’t think this was done with the other P&G soaps) pops up on the CBS YouTube channel. Of course, these clips were uploaded over a decade ago when the show was cancelled. I am not expecting any acknowledgement from P&G but it would have been so nice if we could’ve gotten something, a few new clips on the CBS YouTube channel, Lord knows I couldn’t even dream that anyone would care enough to migrate those clips to a dedicated As The World Turns YouTube channel. 
Man, it’s times like these that I truly miss the Soaps Classics streaming platform! For a time, they would stream classic episodes, mainly from ‘79 into the 1980s.

In the last few years, I would sometimes wonder why tptb in the last decade or so seemed to regard the show’s history as disposable. Sometimes I would think that perhaps they just didn’t care or that maybe the writers and executives were clueless or lazy and/or incompetent. But I recently, I thought about this and another aspect entered my thoughts: did these people assume that they no longer had to write for long-time viewers? Were they only absorbed in courting newer and more recent viewers, assuming that whatever long-time viewers would just hang in and watch, just because? I am just curious about the mindset of people who obviously know they are writing/producing a show that has been on air for generations with a long history, characters that were still on the canvas from the early years of the series and yet, decided to chuck so much history in the bin.

• Members

Was SoapClassics the one with AOL? If so, I used to wear the AW, EON, and STF episodes out. That site and WOST used to have all my attention before YouTube came on the scene and folks started posting episodes there. 

I am praying that The Gates leads to P&G opening up their vault and realizing there is an audience that wants to see their shows. I also hopes it leads to P&G possibly considering reviving a show or two. With procedurals being hot, I never understood why they never considered reviving EON. They could've centered the show in a new town and just kept the name and theme of the show, did a continuation with Mike & Nancy's adopted son (Timmy) and grandson (John Victor), OR did a modernized version of the show all over again with a modern day, young Mike Karr. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

No, Soap Classics was the company that issued the DVD box sets. They had their own independently run platform where you could read about the DVD collections on sale and a two streaming sites, on U.S. based and another site based in another country (can’t remember which country). AOL’s streaming platform was long gone by then, I believe.

I really thought Soap Classics did a good job of working with people who really had respect for these shows (ATWT and GL) to curate these DVD collections and providing a well functioning platform where you could red about the DVD collections on sale, place orders and stream classic episodes all in one comprehensive system.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Assuming that The Gates actually gets off the ground (I'm not certain what "in development" obligates them to), P&G should make a splash and honor their history in soaps. They could stream some truly classic soap episodes from their library. I'm not sure if that's even possible, with residuals, etc. but it would be nice of them to pay back some of the loyalty their viewers showed them for decades. 

There's nothing so frustrating as missing episodes on youtube. I'm watching GL from the '80's and while you're thankful for what you can find, missing that crucial episode is a bummer.

Did everyone remember Don Hastings birthday on April Fool's? He turned 90.