As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

We were discussing this in the thread about The Gates, that it would be a nice overture to long time supporters of P&G soaps if they could do something like what B&B did with classic episodes of their soap, or even have a dedicated YouTube channel for ATWT clips (and one for GL, EON), maybe even put up episodes sometime.

In Development means that a project is past the initial stage of pitch and planning, agreements have likely been drawn up and inked. From what I’ve read, a story Bible is being written. Michele Val Jean has left her job at B&B to work full-time on developing this soap. One point that needs to be remembered is that The Gates is not solely a P&G production, CBS partnering with the NAACP in conjunction with P&G. I am not even sure how much direct involvement P&G will have, especially if CBS is steering this show. I don’t know whether we can expect P&G to have any of the creative or production control that they have traditionally had with their soaps previously, I get the sense that CBS will have a bigger role this time around. And CBS is serious about this soap, or they wouldn’t have partnered with the NAACP. They know that Black women are a huge part of the viewing audience for their daytime soaps over the decades, even though they haven’t been serviced by the stories or content, so they know this is their opportunity to reciprocate on that. If they back out, they will risk alienating a huge part of their audience.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What I really find to be the saddest part of the lack of an official social media presence for this soap—there’s nowhere to celebrate the alumni we love. If P&G had the grace to get an intern to even put up a dedicated YouTube channel, shift all those ATWTs clips that are buried in CBS’ YouTube channel and migrate them to an As The World Turns YouTube channel, that would be a big improvement. Just imagine if there had been one, it would be so special to see a clip of Bob Hughes giving the Thanksgiving toast and fans could wish Don Hastings a Happy Birthday. It’s really a shame that there’s nothing like this.

An intern at P&G could at the very least, upload those episodes that the people at Soap Classics already digitized.

• Members

I don't understand what certain posters on this board need to hear in order to understand that P&G has made it perfectly clear they have zero interest in their soap opera history. Where's the mystery?

• Members

It's just a wish and a hope...geez. I think we all know there's zero chance that P&G will do anything with their library. They've always been the last to come to any kind of pop culture wave. They've probably just learned about a little channel called "Hallmark".

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think people are just hopeful... And hope dies last... I truly believe that one day a lot more soaps will be online... even if just uploaded by fans. 

Edited by Althea Davis

• Members

It's one of the main reasons we come here to talk and speculate. The thought of what might be.

We could just say everything on ATWT was great, the show is gone, and all just stop posting, I guess. 

• Members

I never said anyone should just stop posting about the show. We all do that about all the shows. Our memories. Our favorite moments (well...some of us. For many posters, it seems to only be about everything they hated about every soap.)

It's a very select few members who keep asking over and over why the P&G soaps aren't being released. As I said, it's obvious: P&G doesn't care about its backlog - if any of it still exists. They don't have even have a soap opera division and haven't for 14 years, for crying out loud!

Yes, yes, CBS is producing a new soap and has approached P&G but, as others have speculated, they're probably not going to have any say in The Gates. They more than likely were approached by CBS for money to sponsor the soap and P&G will be able to get free or highly discounted ads during the show.

@Althea Davis I'm with you in hoping more soaps end up online and, like you, I think it'll only come from the fans if people discover old VHS tapes.