As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Larry was realistic about soap work.  While it was a solid paycheck which allowed him to do less-lucrative NYC stage work, I think he was embarrassed by the occasional ridiculous storylines that soaps are often guilty of.  And he was honest about the daily grind of soap production: I'm paraphrasing him here, but once during an interview he stated that soap actors were occasionally guilty of "phoning it in".  We all do it, me included."  But I think Larry recognized that soaps can achieve greatness; when the scripts/stories were good, he gave it his all. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yea, I think he felt about soaps like we all do about our jobs sometimes...its a way to keep a roof over our heads, we give total commitment even if it does get to be monotonous sometimes, and hopefully we can do something good and contribute once in a while.  I will always like LB as during the height of the Dobson's obsession with having John on everyday, and moving Chris and Nancy to the side, so much so Wagner left and MEB put DM on recurring..he accepted his Emmy and thanked both Wagner and McLaughlin for lighting the torch for daytime excellence and showing him a good work ethic.  

It was WEIRD the John, who was connected to everyone just disappeared....no mention from Margo to Kim that John went to see Andy...weird. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Which is a healthy attitude to have, I think, when you have to please so many people - not just the viewers, but TPTB at the shows, the networks and sponsors - and you know that what you're doing isn't exactly feeding your soul the way art should.

Fortunately, I never thought Bryggman was the kind to disregard viewers entirely.  I think he always tried to give us his best, even when the material he had to perform reeked.  After all, at the end of the day, people just want to be entertained.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Thanks @Soapsuds . I was tempted to watch, but I was tired. I wonder if any of the hot button issues (the vocal fan hate he received or the whole steamy affair with Lesli Kay) were mentioned. 

Coulouris was a very charismatic guy, great look too, but to me he always seemed best suited to softcore. Unfortunately for him the genre was mostly dried up by then. 

• Members

I didn't see this one but Mick surprises Michael at the 42:00 mark. I can't believe he is 30.

Also at the end about Jon Hensley and how he doesn't answer his texts.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yes he is!

He turned 31 a couple of days ago.

I d love a soap to snatch him up.

He is still on the east coast though.

31 is young? God I remember turning 31 and thinking I was old especially when those that were younger would refer to me as Sir.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members
Posted (edited)

I just watched it and ATWT was talked.about. Nothing about the fan hate but he did mention if he hadn't done WT he wouldn't have his sons.

He mentioned that he auditioned for Chris Hughes too. He had two auditions and got the David Steinbeck part and someone else got the Chris Hughes part.

He mentioned how great and welcoming Anthony Herrera was to him. They had lunch together and Anthony told him all the backstory between James and all of Oakdale. They even ran lines together.

He mentioned how FMB wasn't too pleased with his work when he started. She wanted Keith to play David a different way than he was interpreting the character. So he did to please her and she was happy about it. 

Then they talked about David's eulogy and how Ellen Wheeler had directed it. How WT won an Emmy for that episode.

Keith was asked about his cast mates and he had positive things about everyone mentioned. He mentioned how much fun he had working with Annie Parisse. They both laughed at some lines in the script because of how ridiculous they were and it would continue during taping and they'd break in laughter. He said he knew the directors weren't too happy about it.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

He screen tested with Terri Conn for Chris and screen tested with Leslie Kay for David.

Speaking of Terri.... MP made fun of her working on QVC during his chat. I wonder if he was joking or really rubbing it in. I do wonder how much she was liked by the cast especially with Goutman putting her on a pedestal.