Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I thought that was a rather rushed plot point, especially when thrown in on the day of the wedding, all episode ONE. The thing is, you have such a generic set-up with John Ross and Chris that any fan of the original series immediately gets, and that's completely obvious to any new viewer, that you really don't have to give people time to get their bearings. It's all spelled out. Writing richer characters who are multifaceted and not so obvious from the jump is the way to go. One thing I'll give Jordana, she played Elena in such a way that I wasn't sure if she was going to be this show's bitch or not, like if she was coming into her bitchhood or if I was just being seduced by the dark features.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with a lot of what she says there, most of it actually. I think the original show being episodic at first helped to establish those "character questions," though. You throw around these loose plots where men hold the Ewing women hostage or Lucy is a tart with her teacher or whatever, but through those insignificant episode stories, you get to know the characters and it sets up the character-driven plotlines that come later on in the soapier seasons. I think making at least the first five episodes of nuDallas self-contained stories might have helped in establishing the characters and their relationships better. Jumping head-first into soapy drama and double-dealing was doing too much.

• Members

Dynasty was fully serialized in it's first season and I think that was more character driven and had a better backstory than anything Dallas offered. Actually, if you think about it, although Dynasty did have a self contained first season, each episode focused on different events, similar to what Revenge did. It all tied into the season arc, but each episode told it's own story. This Dallas could've done that by making the focus of the first episode The Wedding. Then the second episode could focus more on the drilling on Southfork aspect and other tension presented in the first episode. You can even build towards the Cattle Baron's Ball in the same episode, but I'd have a greater focus on it. Perhaps have JR invite the real Marta and her father, only to have to sneak them out before John Ross or Fake!Marta see's them.

There are lots of subtle ways that you could improve the series.

• Administrator

Didn't watch the Dallas 1.0 but I quite enjoyed 2.0. I though Jesse M did okay. He's certainly improved from his Passions days. Jordana still looks good to me but of course she was hotter before. Julie Gonzalo is still hot. Even Faux-Marta and Real-Marta were good looking. So having all that eye candy is a plus. I also like the land battle plot. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the season.

• Members

Jordana was very lucky to have actors like Ben Hendrickson to hide behind on ATWT. She is and was a huge bore of an actress who did little on ATWT beyond frown. I'm not surprised she has had so little success, in spite of Hollywood's efforts.

• Members

Jordana has no chemistry with either of the Ewing cousins and thats poor casting considering this is supposed to be the main triangle of the series. I just cant buy her as Chris's long lost first love as they seem so stiff together in their scenes and there's nothing hot about her wtih John Ross

• Members

As Christopher and Elena, respectively, Jesse Metcalfe and Jordana Brewster come across more like siblings than they do ex-lovers. Perhaps, we'll learn down the road that Jeff Farraday fathered Elena, too?

Archived