Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Dallas should have ended in 1990 and not 1991. They should have brought everyone back. The show still was in the mid 30s or so in the ratings...its the last season were the ratings really nose dived. After Sue Ellen left there wasnt much left of Dallas....just Bobby and JR...and Cliff who by then wasnt much of a threat.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought season 12 was pretty good and I do agree that would've been a better send off. The final season isn't bad though. Susan Lucci's character was great and I loved seeing Michelle avenge April's death and that silly takeover of Ewing Oil, which I thought only worked because they acknowledged she was so unqualified and played that. I also loved the catfight with Eva Larue's character.

And Soapsuds, I'm just as shocked as you are by how much I disliked it. I've tried and will continue to try, but I was shocked lol. I watch many of TNT's other shows, so I expected high quality. Plus you have people like Jesse Metcalfe and Cynthia Cidre denouncing the term soap and saying how it isn't campy like the original and it's so much better and not as old fashioned (when it feels like a 90s soap to me lol). I feel like you need to put up or shut up. Don't tell me to expect serious drama and deliver a campy soap. Own the fact that it's a soap and learn how to write a good one. It also doesn't help that I'm currently re-watching Dallas (season 3 now), Dynasty (season 2, so it's still good lol) and Knots Landing (season 11) so I'm seeing a side-by-side comparison of good soap and bad soap. And however maligned they are, Lynn Latham and Bernie Lechowick deserve a medal for how they revamped Knots Landing and gave it another life. Original Dallas needed people like them with a clear vision.

I will say, I'm excited about an upcoming development with Lucy. VERY disappointed Ted Shackelford turned down the chance to return now that I know what is in store.

• Members

Am i the only one that thinks that Rebecca and her brother are definitely Barnes'?

Or maybe some long lost children of Pamela's from after she left Southfork....But I guess that wouled *legally* make her and Christopher siblings so that's probably out...

• Members

I would have ended Dallas with Pam. The Barnes/Ewing connection was finally severed, do one final story with Cliff and JR and they all live unhappily ever after.

I like the new Dallas because I like JR, Bobby and Sue-Ellen, and I remember when Jon Ross was born and Bobby brought Christopher home. They are at least real Ewings. I don't know if this is the perfect set up for the show (how is Ewing Oil not at the center of everything?) but we shall see. Right now I am just happy revisiting all these TV characters from 20 and 30 years ago. I wish Cliff was on because Cliff was as essential to the show as JR and Bobby. There would have been no Barnes/Ewing feud without Cliff, and if JR is young enough to be on full time, then Cliff is too. Seeing Ray and Lucy for three seconds, I want them back too. Why can't Ray run the ranch? He always did. That scene made it seem like Bobby and Ray have not seen each other in 20 years.

• Members

I wonder if the randomness of having Ray and Lucy together is because they intended to pair Gary and Lucy originally. I imagine they probably wanted all 3, to have all of Jock and Ellie's kids around, plus Ray and then Lucy is first cousins with John Ross and Christopher. I was very surprised to see how interested they were in Gary and also including him in the plot. I think that's smart. If Knots Landing never happened Gary and Val would've been great. Joan Van Ark had smoking hot chemistry with Larry Hagman.

I don't notice him looking bad on Y&R. I think he's still very handsome. I wouldn't throw him out of bed with all that Ewing money.

Archived