ALL: Soap stars and social media

• Members

The recent bitch fight on Twitter between Jamey Giddens and "persons unknown" got me thinking about how soap folks use social media. I'm defining social media as websites, message boards, email, Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook. We've seeen recent examples of people who understand and appropriately use the power of social media (Tika Sumpter, "Erica Kane") with people who - for their own good - should never be allowed near a computer (Farah Fath, Brandon Buddy).

So out of curiosity, who's good at the web and who sucks at it? What experiences have you had with soapers online? Not just actors but writers, execs and members of soap press too.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"The role of Farah Fath is now being played by Danny Noriega."

~~~~~~~

I miss Eileen Fulton's website! She used to post a new update monthly or so and talk about her recent activities. She wouldn't even bring up ATWT unless she'd been getting lots of emails asking where she/Lisa were, and then she'd only lament the lack of work they were giving her. But she stayed upbeat and talked about her singing, friends, etc.

• Members

I went to high school with a girl who looked JUST like that guy. She was quite popular and sweated by many a dude, VERY weird... As for marceline's question, Cady McClain had a pretty popular blog, no? I only read it once or twice when she'd posted something "big" that got reposted on a site like this. But she seemed intelligent and very in touch with her fans, all for the integrity of the medium and what have you. There is of course Connie/Marlena's blog which I have enjoyed, I really don't get where all of the venom for her comes from whenever she posts something, did she step on toes once upon a time or do folks see her as an in-the-know-it-all or something? :unsure:

My favorite, my heart, Miss Robin Strasser of course had her infamous Hotline which I miss like crazy, but she's done a nice job of translating some of that to her Autoblography. I wish she updated it more, but as she said several times on the Hotline, she still struggles with computer literacy.

• Members

I enjoyed Michael Maloney's work at TVGuide.com under Jonathan Reiner's tenure back in the late '90s. He answered viewer mail with a lot of thought and intelligence and it was obvious that he had passion and respect for the medium. Think Carl.

I enjoyed Reiner too, but his style made way for the Perez Hiltonization of the online soap column under its subsequent writers (save for Delaina Dixon).

• Members

Crystal Chappell and her "I'm so drunk and love the chicks" tweets seemed to annoy even the most hardcore Otaliafans and I think she stopped.

Michael Muhney and his constant attention whoring and begging his fans for stuff and posting on SOC is pathetic.

Truth be told, I kinda prefer the actors that don't social network at this point since I've seen so many of the actors make fool of themselves.

So what happened with Jamey Giddens and unknown fans?

• Members

Reiner can suck my nuts. I really can't stand him. He was awful to people who posted on the Rant and Rave MB(which he took down when he was reformatting the boards) and the way he kissed Susan Lee's ass in that one interview just literally made me want to vomit.

• Members

I've had some good experiences with actors on Facebook. I got a nice note from Cornelius Smith Jr. when he accepted my friend request and Sarah Brown surprised me by commenting on a status update when my wallet got stolen. I also love Scott Clifton's Youtube channel. That guy has a crazy brilliant mind.

• Members

while not a huge fan, I find the two kids from DOOL, Cadey Deidrick and Molly Burnett, seem really good at tweeting things that can be interesting. They run photos from time to time, they did the video with everyone dancing, and they talk to the other actors enough so you can easily branch out and find their pages. Also, while not a watcher of Y&R, Michael Muhney always seems to have a personable tweet somewhere which can include photos of broken bones, bikes, or whatever. Brandon Beemer is the most outgoing and comes off as the one who actually likes talking to his fans and enjoys the conversation. Nancy Lee Grahn offers a semi political twitter page discussing her various interests. That in itself is interesting. At least she is showing some personality beyond the vague tweets her co-stars serve up like "just had lunch. God Bless"

Archived