May 24-28, 2010

Toups

• Members

Let me get this straight, you are assuming that Leslie Moonves and his crew don't have a plan for when ATWT goes off the air, you are assuming they don't have a plan for when they yank the other two soaps too?!!! You are saying that the #1 network and also noted for its excellence doesn't have a game plan for all of this. I think they have a game plan and that's why they can do all of this. CBS being held hostage is not going to work!! :lol:

The Bells' writing/production stinks, everything about them shows that they don't have what it takes anymore to produce a good soap any longer. Nor it seems that they can produce the soap that CBS expects and wants which is their right since they are the ones paying for it. It's the same regurgigated stuff year after year. Heck MAB alone is even regurgigating her stuff from 6 months ago. She can't string together one original thought. And even if your budget is slashed, you are supposed to be experienced enough to know how to make it work, good CEOs make that work, it's her show, she said so. And No, Maria it's not your show...when you put it on your OWN network, then you can say it is your show. At the rate they are going, their soaps won't be that "special" anymore. CBS as everyone knows don't own their soaps, they pay a significant licensing fee to have the products developed for them and I am sure they have a target plan every year of where they want to see the ratings/viewership so that they can justify to their board, shareholders and to their own employees why they should continue to buy a product where they are not making the profit they want when they could be using that budget on something else that could turn a profit or developing other new products.

I am now in my own countdown mode- month 3 of how long it will take LM to say the words "Y&R has been cancelled, it's time". So I will try and enjoy as much as I can of the show till then though right now the show stinks so bad that I am hardly watching. It's like the show got its marching orders but can't EXECUTE!!! Everything falls flat.

I forgot to say I do agree with you about the demos and the importance placed on them because I don't care about them either, I just want good stories and good production. But I think the importance placed on demos is not just about soaps but for pretty much about everything you can think of. Heck, even the current Health care reform act is driven by demos too, by age/population etc.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree....I just don't see ATWT leaving the air resulting in CBS collapsing. Someone I think it will survive. lol

Most likely a game show or at worst a talk show will replace ATWT. Ratings may or may not be as high as ATWT (which, like the rest of the soaps these days, is nothing to write home about), it will be cheaper to produce and therefore save the network money.

• Members

lol, all of the One Life fans hating on AMC in this thread sound like Jan Brady complaining about Marcia. There's no comparing the two, each are unique in their own way.

I don't think Agnes loves AMC more, either. Who knows, maybe she feels AMC needs her help creatively more than OLTL does, lol. The last three regimes took the show to places that weren't her original vision and she's trying to get her show back.

Thanks for the ratings. I wish all soaps were doing better.

• Members

Yeah.... :D ...Ain't no way Frons can justify to his bosses canceling OLTL over AMC (or even the expensive GH) with these ratings. History/buzz/name-recognition/whatever....AMC will be cut before OLTL if the ratings trend of late continues. It's all about $$$ for the networks, nothing else.

• Members

Hopefully OLTL can extend their success here a bit longer. The little I saw of the 5/31 week, it was just great soap - in an incredibly fun way. It's been a long time since a soap made me smile like that.

Thanks for the ratings, Toups.

• Members

Yeah, decent comedic timing is not as easy to acheive as it may appear - but this cast has it in spades. And yeah TPTB's at OLTL tend to write these comedic episodes really well (despite some OTT).

Probably Y&R too. Was Y&R pre-empted at all for the press conf?

Archived