May 24-28, 2010

Toups

• Members

Sylph! You have NEVAH been a OLTL fan. EVAH.

It is not dreck. It is a MIXED BAG.

Today's episode was awesome. Most of last week was great. March through May was f-ing UNWATCHABLE.

I didn't post here then but there was a period when I was LOVING Y&R when everyone here hated it, for a good 3 months I was like "WHAT SHOW ARE THESE PEOPLE WATCHING? THIS IS AMAZING". But then the show reached a point of no return.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The redheaded middle child of ABC daytime beats overpromoted GH and Frons precious baby AMC. AMC has been tanking since Brooke returned and with the new writers starting, that hasnt done crap! Also theres no way for ABC to justify cancelling OLTL. It beats AMC in the important demos that make them money. OLTL doesnt look expensive but since it tapes in NY, Im not sure which is more expensive. My guess is still that AMC is more expensive. AMC has trouble breaking a 1.0 in the important women demo. Thats pathetic! Fans would be in an outrage if OLTL got cancelled. Also it would hurt their precious GH.

Just because AMC moved to CA doesnt mean it cant get cancelled. Basically this is ABC saying this is AMCs last chance and if it cant improve, it will be gone. I think AMC is in more danger than ever. JMO.

• Members

I look at it this way. If they wanted to invest in OLTL, they would've moved them to LA with AMC.

In the terms of current events, ABC considers AMC and GH "too big to fail" and will continue to pour money into them while they will leave OLTL to live or die on its own. AMC is AIG, GH is Goldman Sachs and OLTL is Lehman Brothers.

• Members

Well OLTL Fan, I kinda disagree about OLTL being safer than we think, there is just no way that OLTL will survive over AMC. (Although I wish it could)...

The thing about AMC and OLTL, and any possibility of fan outrage if either was cancelled - is that neither show has the passionate fanbase that GH does. I think GH (and Days in the old days) are the only two soaps that would cause an outrage if they were cancelled. Yeah AMC would get all the 'Erica Kane's show was cancelled bulls--t from the media.

I have never been under any illusion that OLTL has a passionate fanbase. The last time the show had that was during the unexplicable (to me) Renee Elise Goldsberry days. I am still convinced that she took alot of viewers with her when she left. Her popularity boggled my mind. But she had some passionate fans.

• Members

No really no pills needed. You have said it on this board and SOC. Funny how you don't call the show out when it is good. Maybe you should just stop watching (if you do) and stop posting because many people on the SOC board are tired of a few people who claim not to watch and still post!

• Members

I'll keep saying it on this board, SOC and any other board I please. If you don't like it then, in the words of Jon Stewart...go [!@#$%^&*] yourself.

True but her fans aren't the only ones that left. OLTL has alienated a lot of different fanbases (the Kish fans being the most recent), that's going to cost them and it should.

• Members

OLTL fan is right about OLTL staying on the air longer if current trends continue. It would be so easy for ABC to say to move to Cali was a failure and ax AMC. It is a great excuse, people will buy it and it is also somewhat true. OLTL is on the rise again and it looks like the kill KISH stunt worked. Also, when ATWT goes off the air, OLTL will be the only 2pm soap in the East and this has got to mean gains. People always doubt this because GH saw no jump when GL died; however, GL had been dead for years plus aired in the AM in many markets. Furthermore, ABC isn't stupid and they've already picked up two ATWT writers for OLTL and I'm willing to bet they sign a few fan favs such as Maura West or Roger Howarth.

I actually feel bad about the AMC slup and maybe Frons should have stuck with Pratt as writer. AMC ratings were on the rise at about the time he was fired. I didn't care for his writing but the show was better off then than it is now.

In a way, this entire issue is pointless considering four soaps tied for third place at a 1.8 in households. Guiding Light was pulling in a 1.8 right before it was axed and that show was in serious creative decline, had no sets and was without much off budget. The end is probably near for all of our shows.

• Members

I feel sorry for daytime period. All they care about are the demos. Well if the demos are a 1-1 to a 1.4 for that demo who are the other people watching Y & R. Guess nobody cares about them! I just wonder what fans OLTL has lost would came back if they cared about all the viewers.

I was laid off for six months and will say I watched more of AMC. As a OLTL fan for years AMC gives me what I want quality acting. Unlike OLTL they use the vets. Can we learn a lesson here? Both shows need to WRITE A SHOW FOR ALL AGES! NOT JUST ONE GROUP!

Archived