ATWT: June 2010 Discussion

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it normal for a show to tape out of order or is ATWT the only soap that does it cause it was canceled. I think the last day of taping is the week of June 21st and it should be on that Friday. I hope they change it cause they did change GL a couple times. I want more returns, but if they won't do that then I can deal with who ever they brought back. I like every character they brought back for July, August and September. Well except maybe James but if they put him with Barbara then that's fine cause they have alot more history then her and Henry ever had.

• Members

What is Michael Park supposed to say, 'The finale sucks: Don't watch me'? Also, I'm sure he would like to work again and wants to avoid burning bridges. I actually agree with him about the show not being ax worthy. Under a new regime, it could be great; however, all in all, the show isn't so bad right now. I really liked Friday's episode with Lucinda mixing things up, Lily's dream, and Molly shooting Silas. It was campy but I liked they way they did the edit when he called her a whore and it just echoed. As the World Turns is no worse than any of the other CBS shows or, for that matter, the ABC line up. Goutman sucks but no one is really doing high quality work right now. He has made a lot of mistakes over the past decade but the show is currently in good shape. It is really a shame that the quality improved right around the time CBS dropped the ax.

• Members

I agree with your post too. You can't take his word for sure cause in the end you might be wrong which we could be if we really believe him for sure. I don't think he would lie, but you never know until the last show comes and see if he was really lieing to save him self from being let go early. Which Goutman would probably do cause you know he don't care about the fans and what actors stay on his show. That's why we won't see alot of returns I mean we are getting alot, but not what the show should end with. I hope they have a memorial for Nancy and bring back some more characters from the past. I know alot of people want Andy back, but does Goutman give a crap no. So I don't think we will see him, Jessica, Ben, Mike, Aaron, Betsy, Ellen, Rosanna, Penny, Simon, Martha Byrne, Maddie and more. I know we got some of them last year, but that was only for 1 day (Jessica) to a couple months (Simon).

I made that a spoiler in case some people didn't know that these were the characters returning.

• Members

Actually, aside from

, and

, I'm more-or-less comfortable with the lists of returnees for ATWT's finale. Everyone else who I would consider crucial for this event is either still on the show (thank God), or has passed away (whether in the case of actors like Don McLaughlin and Helen Wagner; or characters like Jennifer Ryan and Dan Stewart). Compared to GUIDING LIGHT, which couldn't make a dent in anybody's wish list b/c there were too many people to bring back, that's pretty awesome. So, good on Goutman, at least, for not decimating the canvas as much as he could have under other circumstances.

• Members

I think Khan meant that those are three essential returns missing, not that they're coming back.

I'd add the woman who played Jennifer Ryan to the list. She came back for Kathy Hays' anniversary in '97. (her name escapes me at the moment.)

• Members

I TOTALLY AGREE! I think ATWT is damn good right now, and has been since last summer. This week, and I'm not sure if it was a gift to the fans or the actresses, but Maura West & Elizabeth Hubbard shared scenes! Magnifique! Makes me wish they had been put in a story together long ago. Right now, I'm LOVING just about every story in this order:

1. Casey/Vienna/Henry/Barbara- Yes, the whole pregnancy faking thing is cliched and overdone, but I really like it in this story. Casey & Vienna are HOT, and if Henry doesn't end up with Babs, I'll be highly disappointed. For my money, no character's pain is more compelling & palatable than that of Barbara Ryan. Colleen Zenk Pinter has been simply divine & I'd LOVE to see her walk with her much-deserved first Daytime Emmy in 2011. I ached for her when those guys started singing to her instead of Vienna. Masterful. What I love so much about this story is that it's character-driven, which is evidenced by the major players acting in character

2. Dusty/Janet/Jack/Carly/Craig- The only real rooting couple here is Jack & Carly, but the story is so well-told & compelling that I almost forget that I barely care about the others. I'm so hot & cold with Janet it isn't even funny, but THANK GOD Julie Pinson plays her because it saves it for me.

3. NutMeg- Love her or hate her, you cannot deny that Marie Wilson's Meg has been a HUGE part of ATWT's turnaround. Ever since the whole Damien affair (and the separation from Paul finally!), Meg became interesting again, not a moment too soon. This is the complex, flawed heroine that I fell in love with when Marie Wilson first arrived on the scene. I was loving Meg & Emily's newfound respect & understanding, which makes it all the more compelling to watch it all unravel. And now that we know he's returning, it's obvious that

4. Gabriel is Craig's Son- Yes it's been done to death on ATWT of late (paging Hunter!) and is a total retcon, but the fact that Lucinda & Elizabeth Hubbard are driving the story makes it ok by me.

5. Lily/Holden/Molly/Silas- First of all, Victor Slezak is marvelous. I hate the piss out of Silas & he's such a creep, but that means Slezak is doing his job & doing it damn well. And I LOVE Holden & Molly together. I was never interested in the Molly character before & have long thought Lesli Kay is vastly overrated (and from what I've read over the years, a real bitch IRL), but I'm really liking this story. I've never cared for Lily & Holden and couldn't understand their appeal even when Martha Byrne was playing the part. I admit I prefer Noelle Beck and in a lot of ways wish they didn't make Damien unredeemable because that's who she truly belongs with IMO. In any event, good stuff.

6. Reid/Luke/Noah- Finally, Noah has become semi-interesting & Silbermann has improved. And what can I say that hasn't already been said about Eric Sheffer Stevens & Reid? He is BY FAR the most layered, interesting, and complex male character daytime has seen in YEARS (take that Y&R's Tucker!). But I hate Luke- always have, always will, and the only ending in this story that would make this viewer happy is to see Noah f.uck the cum out of Reid in the finale, which Luke walks in on & has a nervous breakdown, pulling a gun on both. At some point, I would think IRL, Reid & Noah would realize they're both hot, strong men and BOTH of their relationships with that little bitchy queen Luke are toxic and, not necessarily to have a wonderfully fulfilling gay relationship, but rather, decide to have mad hot sex for the sole purpose of ridding Luke from their lives once & for all. But seconds into their first kiss, their attraction burns up & crackles, to the point where they do end up actually wanting to be together, and Luke is left all alone, with his final scene being with Zac LAUGHING at him because the little bitch finally got his.

The ONLY thing I don't think is working right now is Chris/Katie for the following reasons:

1. Daniel Cosgrove is grossly miscast. On paper, it looked great, but onscreen, all I see is shades of his weird character in Van Wilder mixed with Matt on 90210. Why ATWT didn't bring back the talented, good looking, and likely cheaper Dylan Bruce is beyond me. He was easy on the eyes & had a natural way about his acting. In fact, Dylan Bruce's tenure was the only time that I actually gave a damn about Chris Hughes.

2. They have no chemistry, which is crazy because that's Terri Columbino's biggest strength as an actress- chemistry with her leading men. She sizzled with Jon Hensley, Paul Leyden, Mark Collier, and Austin Peck, so it says something that it's not working here.

3. Their courtship is WAY too similar to that of Brad/Katie, which makes it all the more jarring that the writers are forcing this pairing so soon after Brad's death.

But honestly, I will not be satisfied unless Mark Collier returns & Mike & Katie ride off into the sunset.

But overall, I think ATWT is the best it's been in YEARS, since it last lost it's footing in mid-2006. It has so much life in it IMO, which makes the cancellation & upcoming last episodes all the more painful. I, too, wish they were having more returns but I'm totally surprised & tickled that one of my fave characters of my 10 years of viewership,

is coming back to reunite with Lucinda. Nothing would please me more.

In any event, I'm over all of the posters constanly bitching & moaning about Goutman and Passanante. True, their ATWT has had its ups & downs, but they have proven themselves capable of producing great soap over the years & I think they've been doing that for the past year now. In my opinion, ATWT is the best soap out there right now, and that's a fact! (and yes, I know I just contradicted myself LOL)

Archived