Sex and the City 2

YRBB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We didn't get that poster in London. We got this:

200px-Satc2_soundtrack.jpg

The movie got majorly panned -- "The most insulting and dangerous film for women since Pretty Woman. But with less charm." "Sadly this sequel is not Sex and the City -- it is Menopause in the Desert" etc. On the other hand, some still defended it. Whatevs. I'm still set to go.

Wonder if Charlotte will have as little to do as she did in the first film?

• Members

In France, Spain and Germany I've seen the one Sylph posted. So why is SJP then solely feautured in the UK???

@ Sylph: I thought all of Carrie's romances were pointless, because she matured zero over the series' run and Mr. Big always was the final choice...

@ Cat: I echo your sentiments about Kim Cattral (she was awesome in GHOST WRITER); she's wicked and extremely funny.

• Members

Yes, Greece only has SJP in the poster as well.

And, Carrie matured zero? Her romances were pointless?

SOmetimes, I really do think people are watching a different show :lol: because Carrie changed a lot.

• Members

Let's just say it this way: There really wasn't much story to be told, so they went the real sit comedy route--which, honestly, you would have never seen on the show. At least, not in this way.

Yet, I shall be watching it again.

• Members

CNN reported today that the future of the series was "at risk"--but then, in their usual Showbiz Today reporting style said that actually it did well enough that maybe not. (Truth be told, I'm sure it'll still make a profit, it's hardly a $100 mllion budgeted movie...) I dunno, I can't handle 2 hours and 30 mins of an idiotic sitcom take on Sex and the City (yes, I'll download it when it's on DVD :P )

YRBB, I had no idea that you lived in Greece!

• Members

The money probably didn't come in cheap with SJP taking 20 million but it's international brand which means they should be making money with it since the first week...

And female-skewing films usually have HUGE DVD returns, probably because women do not download illegally as much as men. LOL

• Members

That article was perfect. Just reading the fact that Miranda quits the law firm to stay at home? What the [!@#$%^&*]? Then Stanford and Antony get married? What the [!@#$%^&*]?

WTF? is all I can muster at the moment. How utterly disappointing.

• Members

Well, I saw it!

First of all, the air con broke down in the movie theatre. This -- coupled with a PACKED theatre of hormonally charged ladies (well, 80% ladies, 20% men) and every other person clutching a tub of hot popcorn -- meant that I was fanning myself with my agenda throughout the whole thing. When the movie got to Abu Dhabi and Samantha kept mentioning the 110 degree heat and her hot flashes, I thought I was going to get my menopause on early and melt into a puddle.

OK, they could have definitely trimmed the Abu Dhabi part. Wonder if the sheikh knows his country was being somewhat skewered in that movie? Or maybe it was the 4 loud American tourists ready to throw money at anything and disturbing the peace that were the butt of the joke?

I'm not going to lie. I enjoyed it. It was like three episodes wrapped into one. The "grit" from the TV series is gone -- Big is an incredibly understanding, caring Prince Charming, and the whole point of the show was that he wasn't. Carrie is essentially a wealthy socialite now, whose lifestyle is financed by her husband and who dabbles in column-writing every now and then. Post-modern fairy-tale, I guess? But I like it when the four actresses do the gossipy, camaraderie thing. Kim Cattrall gets the best lines -- and the worst, but she does pull them off with aplomb. Cynthia Nixon has always been grossly underrated because she's the least "glam" of the four, but the scene Miranda shared with Charlotte proved why she's good. Kristin Davis still has trouble with her acting, but I believed her tears and locking herself in the pantry when she is unable to control her screaming children.

What can I say? I'm a fan of the franchise. They could be hauling out the walking sticks and zimmer frames to meet for brunch, talking about Depends and dentures and that could be Sex and the City 9 and I would still enjoy it as long as the dialogue remained true to what these characters mean to each other.

• Members

I agree with this....

AND this....

EXCEPT: There is no way the movies can affect my view of the show--I can see why it could tar it for some, but what they did still remains brilliant.

AND

Kristin Davis has no problem with her acting whatsoever! tongue.gif I absolutely love her. She's so subtle and realistic (and she has a character which can be very tricky to make likeable), very Ashley Jones in that aspect, but I know AJ is not everyone's cup of tea either.

But, yes, the crying scene was GREAT. Such an unexpected moment--very touching and true. Perhaps my favorite scene of the second movie.

Archived