Sex and the City 2

YRBB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tell me, tell me, tell me! laugh.gif

I don't like it, not really. I enjoy the girls being back together and I let my excitement take over. But the crap they did in this movie is undeniable. I have a love/hate thing with the movies, both of them.

• Members

One reviewer used the adjective ghastly. That's how it was exactly. Awful.

I guess it just turned from its a-bit-alternative vibe to this 'mainstream' one and the whole edifice fell apart.

I'd have to think about the seasons. I know I was annoyed by the breaking of the fourth wall in the first, the sixth wanted to be something lofty and artsy but wasn't... Which leaves those in between. Looking back on it, it had these... interesting shifts of tone like, for example, the transition from Star to Patrick King. Then from fourth to fifth and from fifth to sixth... :unsure::mellow:

Whereas before I wasn't annoyed at all by their incredible lifestyle, now I am because, let's face it, who can live in the middle of Man-[!@#$%^&*]!ng-hattan with what Carrie's paid for her column, buy designer & vintage clothes and Christian Louboutin shoes?! :ph34r: One commentator said that Mr. Big must be an arms dealer to afford that excessively excessive lifestyle they lead. :lol:

I really, really liked Carrie. Carrie was my favourite of the four, even though that is unfair to all of them because I loved them all too. But they just weren't coherent in writing for her, they took multiple directions and made a mess, of the character and of the story.

Since this is all a random stream of thought, let me plug this in too: Carrie saying to Big A piece of jewellery would be nice. :ph34r: Or him buying that TV. That TV looked cheap. :blink:

• Members

FWIW, Seasons 2,3,4 and 6 were my favourite seasons. I just liked the way the story progressed for these four women. Like how Charlotte bought into the 50s fairytale and it just collapsed and then she met and fell for her divorce lawyer, Harry.

I don't have a fave out of the four women as once I've decided on one, then something happens with another and the actress makes me think "Oh, yeah, her!" And so it continues. The beauty of the show was the way it was an ensemble cast and each woman got A storylines. Like I never felt that Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha were Supporting Characters to Carrie. Although, like Sylph, I liked Carrie a lot. Even with the fancy clothes and stuff, she was relatable. Case in point: when she did the fashion show. It was her dream to strut like a model and get free clothes! (And the mystery of her wardrobe is now solved. She gets free sample sizes from designers in order to be photographed in them). And she fell on the runaway, but picked herself up. I could relate to the way she talked about growing up admiring Linda Evangelista and Naomi Campbell. And that last shot at the end of the that episode, where she pretends her apartment is the runaway! Ladies, haven't we all done that at one point in the privacy of our own home?

I believe Big is meant to be an important Investment Banker? Given the salaries and bonuses these guys were getting (and still get!) not so long ago, I can believe that he has the $$$ to fund a fairly upscale lifestyle. What is not realistic is the amount of free time he has. Investment bankers live for work and are usually chained to their desks.

• Members

I did see it--cheap matinee (but I admit a part of me wishes I had held on and just not gone :P ). One of the guys I saw it with had already seen it twice (though he admitted it wasn't very good, he did say he enjoyed it, sigh). I honestly felt like walking out by the time they got to the Middle East.

• Members

Dito!

Season 5 stunk, even though it was ultra-short if I remember correctly. I also liked the evolutions of Charlotte and Miranda most; Sam was always a stunner and guaranteed the laughs whereas Carrie held the ties together even though she wasn't my favorite by far.

My favorite storyline was probably Samantha's cancer and the ensuing Smith-romance. It was surprising, poignant and had heart and laughs.

• Members

I think that rings true, SOMETHING has to have happened between MPK and Abu Dhabi because it seemed so personal. Abu Dhabi, in my experience, is fabulous and the people are terrific, so I found that part of the movie in bad taste and inaccurate.

And let's not forget that Raya Meddine was one of the women the girls ran into in the market who worshiped that Suzanne Somers book. Sabrina Newman everyone! Ugh!

I just loathed Carrie by the end of the movie, I was never a big fan of hers, but good grief, what a bitch!

Kim Cattrall SAVED it in my opinion, without her the movie would have been absolutely hopeless. Samantha is the only character who actually had a narrative that made sense. I think it's worth noting that she's the only single one left in the show, the other three sink with those marriages that drain the life out of them.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Watch this and then compare – the movies just make no sense. Those were some different people, strangers.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdfkutFSiyU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xffffff&amp;color2=0xffffff"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdfkutFSiyU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xffffff&amp;color2=0xffffff"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdfkutFSiyU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xffffff&amp;color2=0xffffff" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQSJScOiai8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xffffffb&amp;color2=0xffffff"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQSJScOiai8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xffffff&amp;color2=0xffffff" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just saw this and this movie was terrible. The plot was incredibly contrived and dumb for the fact that there barely was any. Seriously for the first hour there was nothing going on. Going to the Middle East shouldnt have happened as the antics there were more silly than anything. The first movie had 4 very distnict and meaniningful stories for each of the girls but this time around these were so light. The first movie served as a very fitting epilogue to the series. The sequel never should have happened. One of the worst movies Ive seen this year

Archived