Bravo's The Real Housewives of....

• Members

THIS. I’d say we are right around 1997/1998 - the GL/Annie and DAYS/Kristen storylines can still generate some heat, and most of our beloved vets are still on contract at GH...but AW is about to be cancelled and the tide is turning. 

There is no doubt the zeitgeist is moving on from Housewives and I’d be working hard on new programming if I was at that network.  

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cheap21

• NothinButAttitude

• Cat

• Taoboi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Its a shame ATL didn't hit 2mn viewers because this was its best episode in about 5 years. MVPs were Marlo, Porsha and, I hate to say it, bitter ass Kenya doing the digging. Even though I hate that she is trying to catch Tanya in a lie.

If Bravo has to pivot, where does it go from here? It is tied to these reality soaps. I am really enjoying the RH shows at the moment, I must admit. SLC, Dallas, NJ, and ATL, and M2M around the corner.... that's just my personal opinion. I'm not ready to say goodbye. But it's true that RH has lively passed the zeitgeist. 

Edited by Cat

• Members

They seem to have doubled down on the Below Deck series over the years, and those franchises now eclipse HWs in ratings if not in pop culture buzz. I suppose it’s an easier watch because it’s pretty episodic but with a few longer-term story threads. Not a great franchise during a travel-halting pandemic, though.

• Members

The live ratings are down across tv, you really have to look at the delayed ratings to get a true picture. I remember there was a report weeks ago that with delayed viewing Salt Lake City was getting around 1.5 million viewers per which which explains why Bravo said it was a hit and quickly renewed it. On the flip side, RHOC was averaging 1 million per episode but clearly wasn’t doing well in delayed viewers since it’s on hiatus. Bravo is also pushing their app for viewing and those episodes have full sets of commercials so it’s fully monetized. 

• Members

Ah yes of course, one has to consider delayed viewing nowadays. After all, we certainly don't watch anything live anymore except the news (sometimes). Everything is recorded and if it's something we're watching right away, let the first half record and then begin watching so we can speed past commercials. 

• Members

Problem is that the franchise is so rehearsed, so devoid of actual reality.

It's why some viewers got a kick out of Meredith Marks because she acted like a rational person.  Disengaging when conversations became unproductive, walking away, and even trying to be peacemaker at the reunion between Heather and Lisa.

I think Meredith should moderate a reunion...she can't be any worse than Andy lol

• Members

RHOD

How funny that the new episode this week looks like it got pulled. Or if it was always planned this way, that Bravo did NO advertisement whatsoever judging by everyone online asking where was the new episode.

Some are already saying that now that production is trying to say (using wordplay) that Brandi is 'still a part of the show' that Season 5 is about to get the BH Season 10 Special (aka Production doing some reediting).

• Members

But...Bravo has.

But the bold is what I've been saying for a while now. I do think Bravo has been trying to branch out for years. And I will go ahead and throw SOUTHERN CHARM into this since they tried to spin that off with SAVANNAH (which sucked other than Hottie Daniel and Troublemaker Ashley I think her name was) and NEW ORLEANS (which was great since they were real life friends and diverse so people are campaigning for a Season 3).

There was the year they did their rebranching and tried to rebranch with Home and Garden type shows. Along with FLIPPING OUT and the MILLON DOLLAR LISTING shows. But now other than MDL, BACKYARD ENVY is the ONLY ONE of those shows left...and we all know why that is *cough*hottiegaylead*cough*. Similar to Wig and DBT which should already be gone with its low ratings.

And now due to the last few years of drama on their shows, BELOW DECK has taken off. And that took time. Just like the other attempts, the HW shows were just such juggernauts but it held its own more than any other attempts have. If Bravo had not been doing what they been doing with the OGs and manipulating storylines (or letting OGs shoot themselves in the foot), I don't even think BELOW DECKS and its sister shows would have gotten a foothold....but stay a good alternative to the housewives. But the last few years on BELOW DECK and BELOW DECK MED have been so juicy, messy, and toxic like a bad trainwreck, that I can see why people are into it. Heck, I'm still a fan of original BELOW DECK at least. BELOW DECK MED due to its BHque gaslighting (the gaslighters themselves have been spoil-revealed to be coming back) is no longer on my list. And the newest part of the franchise SAILING YACHT is getting an almost complete reboot after an uneven first season. And in a pandemic, it just has a more (mostly) fun vibe because don't we all want to sail away? So I can see why BELOW DECK has gotten people's attention...though Bravo needs to stop treating it like MTV does that one show where they marathon it all the time. It can bite them on the butt.

And right now...Bravo has a new franchise that they are trying to build: SUMMER HOUSE. Technically a spinoff from VPR, it came into its own when they did a soft reboot in Season 3 and has not let up ever since (it's on Season 5 now). And now that is being spun off into WINTER HOUSE with cast members from SOUTHERN CHARM (who have made appearances on SH). And it's been fun and messy and juicy in the vein of VPR's early seasons so I can see why it has started to get the spinoff treatment from Bravo. What worries me is just like Kelly Dodd, some of the newbies have become more and more problematic online as their fame (one of the SUMMER HOUSE is a host on Porsha's show...I mean BRAVO CHATROOM) goes to their heads. 

And don't get me started on how Bravo appears to be trying to get that DBT little fan base by using that annoying Chrisley Knows Best show all the time rather than repeats of HW shows I've missed.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Taoboi

• Members

I am with others as that alleged cast is horrible. 

Honestly, why not do one women from each city? They are totally disregarding Potomac, Miami, SLC, and Dallas. 

Hell, if anything this show should be used to bring inactive housewives out of the mothballs like Michaele or Kat from DC, Katie from Potomac, Kim of BH, etc. 

RHOSLC: 

Jen is erratic not aggressive. You can clearly see that woman was in pain. I do like that Jen has realized her f-ck up and will change. I can see her fading into the background in season 2 and taking a more chill stance and letting others take the limelight. That being said...

I think Heather is gonna get exposed on season 2. As Mariah of Married to Medicine would say, "Your slip is showing."

Even Mary is hip to Heather, and you know she's telling the truth if she agrees with Jen. Furthermore, Heather said some real problematic sh*t tonight that did not sit well with me either. Whitney did too. This is why I did not take to these 2. Lisa has been trying to hip folks for the longest. I see it, Lisa. I see it, boo!

Meredith... meh. I waffle with her at times. I like her and then she annoys me the next second. If she doesn't want anyone commenting on her situation then bounce. Otherwise, your marriage will be talked about. I can't with her acting like she's above reproach. You're on Housewives. The show is centered around smut and scandal. 

• Members

Cynthia, Melissa, Kyle? Rinna? These peeps are 'all-stars' in nobody's mind but their own! Ugh. Why are they casting bores

This cast should have been LVP, Nene, Vicki, Tamra and Bethenny (though she would never), to start.  And you build from there. But they fired so many OGs in the last year that we are left with Melissa [!@#$%^&*] Gorga -- without her husband -- and Kyle doing the splits/helicopter ponytail.