Failed famailies

• Members

I definitely never associated Gibbs Kevin with the Buchanans. I associated him mostly with the contemptuous attitude and darkness of the JFP era. He was so callous and so damn self-pitying and so emotionally vacant and he had no chemistry with any of the 15 leading ladies he had. He and Kale Brown just made OLTL unwatchable for huge chunks of time. I think Kale even claimed after he was fired that being on the show might have made it harder for him acting-wise, because of the stories he had or how he came across. I don't know.

This could just be spin from her but here Jessica says she left.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/one-life-to-live/where/jessica-morris-oltl-interview/

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now I don't watch OLTL so I never saw it happen, but I do remember Gibbs on AW as Gary and thought he was decent. However of course I remember the story of how Phelps literally "stole" Gibbs in the 11th hour before re-signing with AW. Not surprisingly I later found out that Gibbs had been a JFP regular even before his role on AW.

• Members

Oh god, I sincerely hope she did have some kind of falling out with Frons/ABC, because the way she talks in that interview, I can just see the casting spoiler now: It turns out that that gay serial killer was one of Mitch's followers and faked Jen's death; she had been living in Vegas stripping with Stacey and Kim on the run from Mitch, but she had to come out of hiding for Stacey's funeral and she decides to get Rex back because her dearly departed friend wouldn't have wanted Rex to go back to Gigi.

• Members

Yes, she loved him on Santa Barbara. Didn't she fire Louise Sorel because Louise didn't want to play a love story with him since he raped her sister?

I thought he was OK on AW, although he was overexposed (I preferred John Littlefield). But he was just awful on OLTL.

Speaking of OLTL, has anyone mentioned the Sanders yet? Weren't they an attempt by Rauch to remake the show, but they flopped? I know Kate was somewhat popular but she just seemed to be a spoiler for Cord/Tina. Judith left quickly because of Rauch's issues with Louise Sorel. The father died. Brother Jamie was a crazy drug dealer/arms dealer/whatever. Grandmother Elizabeth was the last one standing, wasn't she also just a generic baddie?

I guess you can also count the Medinas, since Debra never amounted to anything and Julia was in the background until she killed DuAnn and was shipped off the prison.

Given Andy's general lack of success as a character, aside from a year or two with Antonio, Steve's quick death, and Al's quick death, I guess the Holdens are in there as well.

• Members

The Kennicotts lived on for years as a symbol of bad Mary Sues.

Would you count the Hutchisons on ATWT as this? They had a lot of story for like 2-3 years on ATWT didn't they? My thoughts at the time were:

- wondering why Woody always looked depressed/constipated

- cracking up at the name "Woody" (I was not mature at the time)

- trying to remember when Linc found out Woody was his father and if he shared any scenes with Hutch

- wondering why when they brought Linc back, such a handsome man was replaced by a weird looking, boring guy

- wondering why someone was named "Hutch Hutcihson"

Didn't Linc or Hutch also have a bossy mother named Hannah who ran a boarding house?

What about the Simons on ATWT? Do they count? Ned bored the hell out of me and Debbie got on my last nerve.

• Members

Poor Rosanna got stuck with with Hutch Hutchinson the Snyder farm hand early on there. The Cabots were another failed family. Alexander had something there for awhile with Edwina Walsh til he died. With Rosanna, while we obviously got sister Carly (who made Rosanna's storylines 100 times more interesting) and later cousin Molly, the attempt at establishing her brother Peter Cabot went absolutely nowhere, and we only saw her other sister Lauren Cabot for Alexander's funeral and will reading.

• Members

I liked Alexander, I wish they'd done more with him than had him as a foil for that Mike/Rosanna tedium. And then they had her half-siblings as the wicked people who were so cold to her. Didn't they know she didn't want the money? Poor Rosanna. Zzzzzzzzz.....

Did they ever do anything with Peter?

• Members

Could Y&R Williams clan be considered a failed family?

Introduced as the new working class family in 1980,the family consisted of Carl,Mary,Paul,Patty,Steve and the absent Todd.

While the other new family,the Abbotts, prospered,Steve was written out,Patty re(mis)cast and written out and Todd never appeared (at least at that time)Carl went recurring and then vanished,leaving only Paul and to a lesser extent Mary to carry on.

Days had one of the worst family connections when Gwen Davies,Woody King,and Oliver Martin were revealed to be siblings and children of Esther Kensington and Orby Jensen. The fact that none of them shared surnames spoke for itself.

The Kositcheks were briefly expanded when Chris got a sister Amy,cousin Stan and later Jake(the Salem Strangler).

Santa Barbara had the Donnelly's.Arthur was the father and there was Heather and Michael(and maybe some others)

There were also attempts to build a family around Gina.There was a sister Summer(was she murdered?) and later mom Phyllis,brother Mack and her daughter Lily.

Archived