Failed famailies

• Members

I was just thinking of soap families that developed, had maybe one or two storylines then fizzled out or backburned for good for the most part that they never reached their full potential.

--GL had the Boudreaus. Aside from some early Mel stuff and some later Remy moments, they were never seen, continuously recasted, and never reached their full potential.

--Y&R had the Laurence family on in the early 80s. I believe they could have lasted had their story not crashed and burned.

--Days had the Ramirez family, Scofield family, Hawkins family, Brooks family(except Lexie), Taylor family etc in the late 80s and early 90s. Note to Days, don't spend time focused on building supercouples with unnecessary pointless unestablished characters, only to disregard and sacrifice them when a major story featuring the establishment occurs. This seemed to occur a lot between 1987 and 1993 until we got the familiar establishment in place.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The one that comes to mind is the Gregory family on Another World that was created by James Lipton, the host of Insider the Actor's Studio.

The family was ill-conceived and so when Lipton left and Agnes Nixon took over, she put the characters on an airplane and had them killed in a crash. :lol: I love her sick sense of humor.

• Members

The Hayes family on OLTL wasn't so hot, Mel was fine as a stand alone character. It was nice to see Helen Gallagher, but I think Dorothy's (wasn't that Mel's daughter's name?) the one who really brought things down.

Don't know if you could really call them a "failure", but I was never too keen on the Rappaports either, and there isn't a single one of them left on the canvas.

• Members

B&B: the Marrone and Ramirez families were brought at the same period and most members were written within a few months. The Jones clan will be next.

DAYS: the Chandlers from the very early eighties.

OLTL: the Rappaport-Davidsons. Who remembers them in Llanview today despite the fact that they were so prominent?

• Members

I think Lindsay definetly left her mark

IA with Santis and especially McBain. OLTL really tried to make a family for John work, but it simply didnt. I'll also add the Evans family. They've been one big fail

It pretty much consisted of Babe and Krystal. Id hardly consider it since AMC never tried to build them up as a family. They were always extension of the Chandlers, Martins and David

Archived