Failed famailies

• Members

There are some families who were brought in very quickly one on top of the other and managed to survive for the long haul, although the circumstances are very different.

The Frames, AW. Steve Frame was around for several years until his history was rewritten to bring in a bunch of siblings. Some of them made their mark, although I don't think any of the siblings of the 70s were all that popular, were they? Or they didn't stick around long enough to be popular. Sharlene, Emma, Willis. Willis lasted the longest. I guess Janice was the most memorable. Then the Frames had a long dormant period until Sharlene and Frankie picked up the torch in the late 80s. They barely held on to the end with awful Josie as their last survivor.

The Snyders, ATWT. I guess this might be a case of Marland being at ATWT for so long that his creations became a part of the fabric of Oakdale, less easy to dismantle. When Holden left in 1995, they did try to move away from the family. Emma was put on recurring, Caleb and Julie were gone. But the attempt to make the Kasnoffs the new blue collar family flopped and by 1997, with Holden back and Jack's arrival, the Snyders were in a new era.

The Reardons, GL. Their real highlights petered out after 1985, with only a few remnants who were written into other families (Maureen with the Bauers, Chelsea with WSPR and various people like Phillip, Fletcher, Johnny). Then Bridget and Matt came along, and Nola returned, although they were rarely written for as a family (Nola/Bridget scenes were often so depressing, as they were both treated with contempt by GL by that time).

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, Didi was an O'Neil? I had only heard of the character as one of Bo's great loves; I don't think I ever knew her last name.

Was Brad Jenny's ex, the father of the baby that died in the baby switch story and the guy who raped Karen? I remember coming across his exit on YouTube a year or so ago. If it is who I'm thinking of, I don't think he left with an O'Neil. He was kind of redeemed - David Renaldi had to fake his death because of some spy silliness, and Brad, who still loved Jenny, agreed to marry Jenny and then pretend to leave town together, when in reality David would be taking over Brad's identity and he and Jenny would be the ones running off together, while Brad would start over with a new name. I thought it was a cool way to write off the character so it stands out in my mind, but as far as I know he left alone.

You're probably right about the McColls. I never actually saw the father, and I probably saw them as harmless in the clips that I have seen because the actors were recognizable and I knew that they were short-lived and that Marland took over soon after.

• Members

The Snyders on ATWT were a textbook example of how to bring on a new family. Marland started with Holden, followed quickly by Emma. Iva was brought on , but it worked because she was tied into fan fave Lily's story. Gradually , Seth came on (tied to the Hughes family through Frannie.) By the time Caleb and Ellie were introduced, we had heard so much about them, we couldn't wait to meet them.

The Kasnoffs were an attempt by later writers to replace the Snyders. They failed miserably. Mike Kasnoff was a similar start to Holden Snyder, but Mark Kasnoff was just a Fabio-type prettyboy. Sarah Kasnoff was so unpopular that she quickly disappeared from the scene.

• Members

Yes, Didi was an O'Neill. That was their love story, Bo wanted to get away from Asa's name so he took a new name and went to work at her father's factory.

I thought Brad left with the Liz Keifer O'Neill. Maybe not?

Was it the Kirsten Vigard O'Neill who was in the cult?

You can see Whit McColl in some of these clips:

I actually don't mind the McColls, from the little I've seen of them. I don't know where they could have gone, but if Kim Ulrich had stayed I think Marland could have made her into one of the good girl/bad girl mixtures he was fond of. And young Cris Leblanc was cute and full of energy -- if he left it must have just been down to the show being in transition, the same reason Marisa Tomei was fired. It's too bad.

The father isn't THAT bad, he just has that very wooden acting I don't care for, like the Coleridge father on RH, remember him? His wig was livelier than his acting.

• Members

True. I wasn't counting the Snyders because they were popular, but I've seen some of their intro and is it heresy to point out that Marland definitely broke several of his much-cited rules? But it was so harmless, because he really did write for the veterans and restore the Hughes and Stewart families (plus he had the luxury to do so...it wasn't a case of JFP killing off Maureen Bauer to help pay for Justin Deas' salary). I feel like he earned the right to graft this family that nobody else would have thought to add to white-bread, upper middle class ATWT. I think it's cool that after all he did for ATWT, 25 years later, his creation is as much a part of this historic show as anything else.

• Members

Poor Dani, what a mess her character became :(

The father died early on, right? I guess it was Steve and what, Frank, was that his name? Frank was fired sometime in 1985 or 1986? I wonder why they didn't keep Frank and Maggie around, since she was Lyla's sister.

• Members

AW had the Perrinis.Originally,for a number of years, Angie was the only family member seen,Then Rose and Joey arrived and were prominent.Joey and Rose were both given story,But,AW was in such turmoil at the time that hardly any characters stood a chance.

Clarice Hobson gained 2 brothers,Denny and Leigh and a father,Charlie who married Ada.They followed Clarice onto the show after a number of years of her being alone and were all dropped before she departed in 86.

Similarly,Blaine Ewing got a brother Larry,then Fred the father,Jeanne-long absent mother and finally Catlin(long lost brother).

On SFT,the Adamsons were introduced by the Corringtons. Laine and Sunny were sisters and Ted,the father.There was also briefly Todd,Ted's nephew(played by Kevin Bacon)Laine was dropped and Ted a little later,leaving Sunny to fly solo until the show's cancellation.

• Members

That's one of the reasons Ellen Parker was fired?

Damn. No wonder I loathed early Buzz so much.

I've seen some of this. I think these characters could have helped the show if they'd kept them around. The Ewings were all quite popular weren't they? Or at least Blaine was before they recast her.

I always remember Larry because some "soap book of the stars" from 1980 or so mentioned that the actor used to be a stripper. Too bad they didn't work that plot into the show...

• Members

The original Andropolous family were brothers Steve and Nick(who married Kim)Nick was killed off and Frank(a cousin)was introduced.

Frank and Maggie were written out by Marland shortly after he arrived.

There was also Sofia in the mix at one point.Was she Nick's stepdaughter?

Archived