Failed famailies

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am a little hazy about when Charmane disappeared, but yea, all three women were hot for this toupe wearing stiff..go figure. I did like the way the Dobsons were writing Lisa when she first was married to him, she was giving him hell all the time and he dug it. I think Fulton left at the wrong time as they were actually starting to give her something other then a dithering busybody to play.

I remember that he had a son with Dorothy the housekeeper..I forgot his name but he too was involved with Frannie Hughes and I remember thinking he was cute back then, wonder what happened to him?

• Members

Was that Jay? I also thought he was cute. The last time I remember seeing him was around the end of 1985 when he and Kevin were both pledging to work together as they were both suspects in Marie Kovac's murder. They both had bad blood with her didn't they?

There were a lot of cute guys on ATWT in 1985 who all left around the time Marland showed up, and some he got rid of. And then he brought in a lot of other cute guys. I wonder if that was a coincidence or if he had a type.

• Members

I know he had the farmboy type, with an occasional bit of rough, but I didn't want to say, "Did he write out a lot of the guys he didn't find hot," because I didn't think that would be nice. :lol: I just wondered because a lot of the hunk/pinup types on ATWT when he showed up either left, or were somewhat deemphasized (Steve, Dusty).

• Members

Actually Marland complained about the fact that the show became the "Steve and Betsy," show, which it had. He did write for Steve and Betsy in the Tad Channing thing, to his credit as they had burned out their story fast (unlike PG under MADD, who would have kept them on and kept recycling the same damn break up and make up storyline over and over) I think that the actor was really hyped as the male star of ATWT, and Marland really promoted the ensemble feel. I think I remember interveiws from him saying he wasnt being used (i.e he wasnt on every damn day..) so he left. I loved it that he left being a drug dealer for James and we got a scene where James knocked his sorry ass on the ground.

I do think that Marland had late middle aged pent up fantasies about his youth on the farm that went way over the top on ATWT. He didnt even introduce a "misguided, tough but vunerable guy on a motorcycle," like every other soap on earth. Did Marland ever come out as gay or self identify?

• Members

I forgot that she was ever a Simpson. That makes sense though. :lol:

I guess I should include the Edwards on AW. James Pickens was such a wonderful actor and yet after Quinn died he never had a story (I think he may have dated Ronnie Lawrence, and he went into law practice with Cass, but he wasn't shown very much). He also had that sister, Julie Ann; I'd totally forgotten about her until I was reading some synopses last night. She was on the show for a few years but never had anything to do.

• Members

I can imagine it was a big adjustment for Runyeon, just being an ensemble player. I always wondered if there was some bad blood with he and ATWT because for a heroic character that was quite a dark exit, although didn't Steve have a dark intro story as well? I never saw any of his early stories.

• Members

Thanks. I wish I could see more of Carol, I've heard she was very popular.

I never knew Tony and Frisco ever had their mother on GH. Was that part of the story where Frisco and Tony had fallen out because Tony was sleeping with his stepmother?

• Members

Brookside:

They tried to introduce an Asian family, the Chois, in the early 90s, but this didn't go anywhere.

In the late 90s they introduced the Shadwick family. This then led to a lengthy storyline where a boy was accused of drugging and raping Emily Shadwick, with some doubt over whether he was responsible or not (he was), and an ugly, violent feud between their families.

The story was very unpopular and some fans blame this for really killing Brookside, along with bad scheduling.

Archived