2010 Winter Olympics

Toups

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since I don't remember their names in the Pairs Figure Skating competition, I'll just go with Chinese pair #1 (the Gold Medal winners) and Chinese pair #2 (the Silver Medal winners).

I thought that Chinese pair that won Silver kicked everyone's asses in the long program competition. The pair that won better be grateful they did so well in the short program, or else they wouldn't be walking away with that Gold Metal.

If you want to count someone as a half Canadian (LOL!), I guess you could count American Hannah Kearney, whose mother is Canadian and whose mother's side of the family still resides in Canada. She won the Gold in the Mogul Skiing competition, pulling an upset over the prior Gold Metal winner and real Canadian (LOL!) Jennifer Heil.

• Members

It delayed the competition for an hour which messed up alot of competitors timings since they like routine of warm-up etc. The American ended up pulling out after his run because he didn't have a good time and it wasn't his best event anyway.

• Members

Agreed with all of this (though I thought they went on about the Blue Ukraine costumes a bit too much--they were garish and ugly but really I didn't even think they were the worst there). Oh and the Russians didn't bug me--I just got so sick of seeing everyone crash and burn with falls that the Chinese were a welcome relief. Although--I'm all for tradition in skating but really could they have picked more overused Skating music? TWO of the long programs were done to the same bit of Rimsky Korsakov's Sheherazade. At least I love that piece but then we had to sit through Love Story, The Way We Were, and the love theme from Romeo and Juliet, not to mention the theme from Out of Africa. Sure--lotsa it is pretty, over the top, good skating music but I think most o fit has been used at least half a dozen times at Olympics before...

• Members

How does it work for what country a person can compete for? I think you have to just have citizenship in the other country? Like, you could be American born and have German citizenship and compete for...either country? Something like that.

• Members

I've always had a hard time understanding that myself Kylie. Last night in the pairs competition, there was a Japanese skater for the Russian team.... they said not only did she have to renounce ehr Japanese citizenship, she had to change the spelling of her name to compete for the Russian team.

• Members

Not that it really was much of a test, but Canada's quest for hockey redemption tonight got off to a flying start with an 8-0 victory over Norway. Norway has not been in the Olympic hockey competition since the 1994 games which were fittingly staged in Lillehammer, Norway. Jarome Iginla had a hat trick for Canada.

Next up is the Switzerland team, a team that BEAT Canada in Turin 4 years ago. The real test, Sunday versus Team USA.

• Administrator

Woohoo!! Go Maelle Ricker! 2nd Gold for Canada! I love Maelle's giggle/laugh - it's cute. LOL How lucky for Jaime Campbell to call Canada's first 2 gold and it could've been 3 if Mike Robertson kept his lead yesterday.

The 2nd and 3rd periods were wonderful to watch and I'm glad they finally found some chemistry with all 4 lines.

• Members

Yeah :( well our best shots for Figure Skating medals going in were Rochette in Ladies and that ice dance team. Poor Chan :(

Yeah, the first period they seemed to be getting a feel for everything. A different team came out in the 2nd.

Archived