2010 Winter Olympics

Toups

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, Cypress Mountain is still having very mild temps, but all the runs are ready and actually there has been training events the past few days. All the athletes said the course is fine. They knew when they got these games that this would be a problem. They had all the appropriate plans in place.

Whistler on the other hand has had record amounts of snow this year. Actually, training runs there were cancelled yesterday due to wet snow and fog, they worry some events this Sat. could be pushed back to Monday.

• Members

Yes they do. We have a team of 40 people.

So far we have a total of 3 gold and 1 bronze medal in all the years we have competed.

You may remember Stephen Bradbury who was our first Gold Medalist by default in Salt Lake city who won in the 1000 metres speedskating when skaters in front of him all lost their footing.

We also have an Dale Begg-Smith an ex Canadian that has turned Aussie that won Gold in the Moguls last time around and is favourite to win gold again this time. And I think our female snowboarder Torah Bright is also a favourite to wind gold.

I know that we play field hockey, but I can't recall a ice hockey team.

• Members

Its an inukshuk which is a monument built out of rocks. It has deep meaning in Canada's aboriginal culture. I assume it is shaped the way it is to resemble a totem pole. These games have a heavy aboriginal theme, as they should.

• Administrator

What a terrible way to start the games. :( Why did they build the luge course beside huge pillars??? That's so stupid. They should have like snow, or clear ground in case someone slips off the course.

Anyway, I am looking foward to these games, especially the men's hockey - naturally of course since Canada is hockey country. 2006 was such a disappointment, especially coming off that freakin awesome 2002 win.

GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!!

• Members

I live in Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Contrary to what most non Canadians think, it doesn't snow here. Period--it's a temperate rain forest climate. We get usually 2 days of snow a year but the past year haven't gotten any at all. Of course we have Whistler Mountain--I guess that's why Van got the games, because otherwise it seemed odd to pick the WARMEST least wintery place in Canada for the games...

Toups where in Canada do you live? I always thought you were American :blush:

And yes very very said about the dead athlete.

• Members

You win points for effort ;)

It's strictly an Inuit (aka :"eskimo") thing. Totem poles aren't anywhere up there (of coruse cuz there are no trees)--but there's zero connection, they represent seperate things and the cultures are actually pretty diff, just like how Haidas, where most of thre Totems are from and whoa re around Vancouver don't live in Teepees like Prairie aboriginals do, etc)

Archived