2010 Winter Olympics

Toups

• Members

HAHA I look after a sick family member, and work as a TA for my old Eng Lit prof at UVIC (I moved back here from Montreal to help out with the illness). I have a pretty useless musical theatre degree and then I went back to school Eng Lit major (Edwardian lit) and psychology minor... but I haven't had a chance to use any of them yet--so I'm just a ta. (sorry, that's kinda an overlong explanation, and something I'm defensive about if I sound it :P )

What do you do?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course! I myself am a historian who specializes in American Indian/Native American(either term is fine for me personally) history as I have a great interest in not only my culture but other groups as well. Most people don't realized there are hundreds of distinctive tribes here in the US. I just don't want my fellow SON members to open up a thread on the Olympics to ranting about tribal governments at the risk of being seen as crazy. :D

• Members

It wouldn't be a thread here without Ruxton's negativity. In answer to your previous post, I currently am working on a degree in Political Science and Criminal Justice Studies at the University of Guelph.

The opening ceremonies overall have been very well done. I was always a bit worried how they would be handled being indoors, but they've done a really good job. What was with the torch though? They said it was missing an arm lol. I was disappointed after all the prep that they couldn't get the hydrolics to work. All of the performances have been amazing, and I really have enjoyed the First Nations being at centre stage.

Wayne Gretzky, knew it would be him. Perfect choice!

• Members

That's very cool--I've always been impressed with anyone interested in poli sci and the ilk--it's something I can never quite wrap my head around.

b eing indoors allowed the awesome aeriel stuff I guess. But yeah, that technical malfunction was unfortunate... Still prob better it came right at the end than during one of the middle sections. I think LePage did a great job staging them--I knew he would, but....

• Members

I think it's embarassing how the news has repeatedly shown the death of the poor Georgian luger. Would they even know who he was before? I wish the actual incident hadn't been filmed--it's like a snuff film and does no one any good to see HOW he died--reporting on it is enough.

And I feel awful admitting--the US broadcast of the opening ceremonies was leagues better than the Canadian--better script by the pointless commentators, better shots, everything.

• Members

I guess being Vancouver I shouldn't be expecting snow in the air and being able to see people's breath, but the rain and fog really dampens (both figuratively and literally) the winter olympic spirit. Even Whistler is having rain and temp. problems. More alpine training runs were canceled today.

Archived