2010 Winter Olympics

Toups

• Members

I think that the way it works is that an athlete that was born in one country can compete for another country only after getting citizenship in that country and having lived there for x number of years.

They can only play for either country if they have dual citizenship such as Australia & the USA.

Dual citizenship I think is starting to be common, but then there are still some countrie's that expect you to fully renounce the country that you were born in before becoming a citizen.

I hope that all made sense.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The women's downhill today has been kind of disheartening. Alot of falls, including a French skier getting caught up with her pole 20m out of the gate :(

Parson from Sweden (Bronze medalist in 2006) was having a great run and was on track for 2nd behind Vonn at the time fell on the last jump :(

Vonn appears to have it well in hand currently ahead by .50 seconds ahead of American counterpart Mancuso.

• Administrator

That was kinda funny....but I felt sorry for her.

She was the one who flew like 60 metres, right? That was AMAZING! The crash of the skier who had to be air lifted out was pretty amazing too.

I joined Vonn-tourage!! :) Also, Kelly Vanderbeek is pretty hot too!

• Members

Some have dual citizenship because one of their parents was born in one country and another in a different country. I'm not positive but I think the Australia/Canadian Spam king may of had that.

There is a Japanese woman who had to renounce her citizenship with Japan to become Russian and compete for Russia. She is not very popular in Japan because of that but Japan doesn't have a strong pairs program so she had to do what she had to do.

Tanith Belbin, an ice dancer, was born in Canada and became an American citizen right before the 2006 games. There was a law passed that allows for certain expections to speed up the process had that not of happened she wouldn't of been able to compete in 2006.

• Members

What place is Chan in?? The only shot he has if he is in the top 3. If he is in 4th he needs the top 3 to completely fall apart for him to win the gold. I so hope Lysacek wins if not anyone else besides Plushenko...cant stand the dude!

Archived