Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars

• Members

David Canary has had excellent plastic surgery. Face lift and eyejob for sure.

He started with Botox in the 90s at the suggestion of Jennifer Bassey, the story goes that he asked her how she looked so good and she basically said "Botox: it hurts like hell, but I look fabulous."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a complex question, but a good one worth addressing.

Sunscreen is important, as I've discussed earlier, chemical sunscreens possess a lot of notable drawbacks (it can produce free radicals under UV light, mimic estrogen, be absorbed into the bloodstream), so I feel the best option is a mineral sunscreen (but NOT nano-particle size, though micronized is absolutely fine). But even then, sunscreens are not foolproof, many people don't apply enough, don't reapply when they need to or don't use it consistently.

The simple fact that there is no such thing as a safe tan. A tan is a direct reflection of your skin being damaged, when your skin tans it is your body's desperate attempt to protect itself. Tanning beds are even worse, the World Health Organization has deemed them a major health risk.

Treatments, namely lasers and prescription retinoids, can help substantially...but they do not equal prevention. Ultimately, if collagen is damaged thanks to the sun it is what it is permanently. Treatments absolutely help, I'd say 65% improvement...but if you could do all the lasers and prescription retinoids you like and your skin would never be as good as someone whose been good at prevention. Plus, the cost of these treatments would be astounding in order to treat a lot of sun damage.

Once you have lines from the sun, which Allison Sweeney is clearly exhibiting on her forehead, you're stuck with them. Even Botox cannot eliminate them. Once your skin texture goes to leather (I'm looking at you Catherine Hickland!) it is never going to be great again.

Allison Sweeney is a fair complexion, blue eyed, blond. If anyone is at risk from serious complications from the sun, it's her.

• Members

Honor would be better off not wearing so much black. Cazenove's partner didn't feel the need to wear black, she wore red. She also didn't wear a bra :blink:

Stephanie looks good but that hair isn't flattering.

I know she wasn't there but have any of you seen Kate O'Mara lately? She was once a very striking, exotic beauty, but she's wrecked her face, she can't move a lot of it. She looks a bit like a melted cat.

• Members

Stephanie looks good. She has the face of a beautiful woman who sunbathes A LOT and uses Botox and fillers to treat it. She is adept at makeup and seems to take care of her skin, though she abuses it in the sun. The hair I actually like, but it's a specific look for certain. Stephanie's only in her early 60s, so how she looks is possible without surgery. She photographs very well, up close, she looks much older. Still beautiful, but the wrinkles are far more apparent.

Honor Blackman is 85 this year...so I think she looks remarkably good and I'd hesitate to say that she's had a facelift. Rather, I think she's one of those people who has exercised and eaten really well her whole life, always keeping trim, has taken care of her skin and hoped for the best. I don't think it's wearing black that kind of throws her look off, it's the high neck, minimal makeup and lack of jewelery. Honor is the kind of woman that the more you throw on her, the better she looks.

Both Stephanie and Honor are lucky in that they have such good, thick hair. That's a genetic lottery.

Since we're sampling pictures from Christopher Cazenove's funeral, here's our Joanie!

article-0-092923C1000005DC-289_306x696.jpg

Red really suits her, interestingly, she was right behind the casket when it left the church, right beside Cazenove's ex-wife and his son. I do recall that Cazenove and Joan got on like a house on fire, so perhaps they stayed in touch over the years.

The melted cat comparison is absolutely perfect. It's clear to me that she's had a facelift and has gone over the top with Botox. When you add that to the facts that she's always had a 'hard' look and that her eyes are gorgeous and very feline...that's the result. I do like her attitude though, she's a tough, ballsy woman.

• Members

I think that would be the same for any star that somebody had a particular affinity for. Heck, just because Bjork showed up in a "swan dress" at the Oscars once didn't stop me from buying her music.

And Joan, on the whole, sticks to a 1980s Nolan Miller-style which (apart from having come back into fashion) suits her and her brand identity. If it makes people think of Alexis, so much the better. Joan Collins will trade on that phenomenon all the way to the bank.

Honestly, apart from some dodgy moments with leopard-print, Joan is a pretty conservative dresser who avoids the latest fads to stick to what suits her (her sister Jackie, on the other hand, clings to animal-print like a second skin). In the picture above, she is wearing something that is quite flattering. The red, the necklace, the ubiquitous Chanel purse, lol. Plus, she, Stephanie Beacham and Honor Blackman are all dressing for the cold weather.

Love these English broads regardless. Oh, you know who else is pretty fab? Joanna Lumley and Diana Rigg.

Archived