Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I cover sunscreen below (and I wouldn't be surprised if your sunscreen is inferior, you shouldn't be burning), but I have to tell you, a hat offers wonderful protection, give it a second thought, try and find one you like, preferably with a wider brim!

It isn't sunscreen in general, but the type you're using that is my issue.

We KNOW what sun damage is, you take a look at Deidre Hall and you won't see any. She protects her face from the sun. Fair skinned and red haired Suzanne Rogers still has very pretty skin, she too protected it from the sun. And then you look at Catherine Hickland who is saturated in moles and deep freckles and you can see that she hasn't. It shows, the skin goes to leather.

The problem I am seeing with sunscreen is that some specific chemical filters (octocrylene for one) have been shown to generate substantial amounts of free radicals when under exposure to UV light, the very conditions they were intended for use (see Wikipedia for the studies I've read)! Some argue that having antioxidants loaded into sunscreen mitigates the problem, but I am as yet unconvinced. As well, all chemical sunscreen filters have been demonstrated to be estrogenic, making them a possible endocrine system disruptor. Excess estrogen in women and men is not something I consider safe.

You look at soap stars like Lesley Anne Down who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and it makes you wonder, could repeated, lifetime exposure to certain chemicals have somehow contributed?

It simply isn't a risk I'm interested in. Physical sunscreen filers, titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, are harmless and offer substantial protection because they reflect, rather than convert, the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. So I've switched to using sunscreens with these filters and I think my skin will thank me in the long run.

• Members

Before I start naming names, I will say this: I think around 80% of all actors & actresses on soaps have had SOMETHING done. And I don´t find it strange. They are cast mostly because they are beautiful. And they have pressure on them to look beautiful. It´s awful to be an unemployed actor...

So on to names... When I hear "plastic surgery" and "soaps" in the same sentence, I immidiately think of people like;

B&B:

Hunter Tylo (Taylor)

Ronn Moss (Ridge)

Jennifer Gareis (Donna) -- B&B doesn´t even try hiding it, they make jokes about how unnatural she is every now and then.

Winsor Harmon (Thorne)

Jack Wagner (Nick)

Y&R:

Jeanne Cooper (Kay)

Doug Davidson (Paul)

Joan van Ark (ex-Gloria)

Judith Chapman (Gloria)

GH:

Lesli Charleston (Monica)

Stuart Damon (Alan)

Jackie Zeman (Bobbie)

DAYS:

Deidre Hall (Marlena)

Kristian Alfonso (Hope)

Joseph Mascolo (Stefano)

Josh Taylor (Roman)

Drake Hogestyn (John)

Peggy McKay (Caroline)

Lisa Rinna (ex-Billie)

Suzanne Rogers (Maggie)

OLTL:

Erica Slezak (Viki)

Robin Strasser (Dorian)

AMC:

Susan Lucci (Erica)

Bobbie Eakes (Krystal)

Any comments?! :blush::huh:

Then of course there is the art of MAKE-UP. And how much it really changes a person. Lesley-Anne Down, B&B, is a perfect example of a person that changes A LOT with make-up on. The magic of make-up. Take a look... :o

014.jpg

• Members

^ Funny you posted that pic of Lesley Anne Down, I just saw it recently and was wondering what happened to her?? I realize she's not all done up like on the show, but it's not just her lack of make-up, her face even looks different. But yes, it IS amazing what make-up can do...

dt_bb_cast_240_ldown.jpg

• Members

Lesley Anne is the kind of woman who has a very 'blank' face...it's very common among very successful models (Linda Evangelista and Christy Turlington are two who exemplify this) and in actresses like Joan Collins and Elizabeth Hurley, their faces are like a clean slate and they take makeup, very, very well. It's basically impossible to put too much makeup on them, the more you add, the better they look.

Lesley Anne, thus far, has said she's only done Botox, Restylane and swears by wigs. For a woman in her 50s she's doing very well.

• Members

I think part of it is airbrushing. The pic like the one you posted is totally "touched up" to the point of even changing the shape of her face, imo. On the show, she looks a lot more like that picture without the makeup. Of course, she looks much better with the make-up, I'm just talking about her facial structure. I think she looks very good, but I'm not sure she ever looked like the touched up picture, at least not in the last 20 years.

• Members

It probably isn't a coincidence. If I shop online at certain retailers the ads I see on this board are geared to the exact products I looked at. There is absolutely no way it could be a coincidence, so they must be using cookies to generate ads now. They could probably do the same with the keywords of threads. I'm just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Members

It is disturbing isn't it? The unfortunate thing I don't think there will ever be a final answer about the issue as well because the science is not perfect, no human testing has been done and it's hard for me to say that it would be ethical to do so.

So I think (and know) that mineral filters are the way to go. They're absolutely benign and offer excellent protection. You can't skip sun protection and think your skin will be healthy. It simply isn't possible.

What were they?!

They're fake of course and they aren't appropriate for her frame, hence the running away from each other.

• Members

I'm glad to know this... so this year, mineral filters it is! Are they all opaque and white? But anything to keep my nose from being constantly red will be fine with me. I'm not EXTREMELY fair complected, but being a natural blonde, I'm not that dark, either.... my coloring is about the same as Terry Lester. But you can see what my nose does in the summer time:

Scan1525March282010.jpg

• Members

I absolutely love it how detailed, dedicated and professional you are in your replies. :) Your patients must love you. And you love to reply.

You are right: it is very disturbing. After years of incessant talk about how they must be used, it turned out that you should really be careful with what the main ingredient is. <_<

I wanted to ask you another thing: is Morgan Fairchild's doctor known? How do you view her looks? Is she a remnant/example of the past era of plastic surgery? And — a silly question, but: could it all have been done better now? Do you like what she did or do you think she did a bit too much?

Archived