AMC: James Mitchell has passed away

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh for sure.

Jill Larson must feel so crushed about this right now. I remember her saying she was looking forward to being in LA, cause she would get to see and visit him more. If Opal were given a storyline revolving around Palmer's death, I believe that Larson would knock it out of the park, whatever material given to her.

• Members

Truly sad. A great, kind man, and a true talent both, I think, one of the most underated actors of his time and one of the best dancers. The great Agnes DeMille called him the finest American male ballet dancer of his time, and I think his dance legacy has been slightly forgotten because ballet snobs got mad that he did so many musical theatre dance roles (on film he's seen at hisbest in The Bandwagon and the dream Curly in Oklahoma!'s long dream ballet).

I'm thankful he lived a long, happy and successful life, and got to dothe job he loved till near the end. I hope the move to LA doesn't obvershadow the fact that they need to give him a proper tribute episode (maybe it can tie into Dixie's story?)

And here's all I could find online of him in the Oklahoma dream ballet--about a minute and a half at the end of this clip

And not the best quality, but here he is as the male lead in Agnes DeMille's Civil War Ballet from Bloomer Girl, recreated ten years later for TV (it should be poitned out Agnes hoped to marry James but, well cuz he was gay and for the times really open about it, that never happened). I always feel he's been a bit underated--a footnote in many ballet books because so much of his dancing was "merely" for musical theatre, and then ignored as an actor because he was "merely" a soap star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OixjJfjgFa0]HERE

RIP

• Members

Palmer's children in age order (I believe) are:

Ross Chandler (w/ Lotti Chandler)

Nina Cortlandt Warner (w/ Daisy Murdoch)

Andrew Preston Cortlandt (w/ Cynthia Preston Chandler)

Palmer John Cortlandt (w/ Donna Beck Tyler)

Peter "Petey" Cortlandt, II (w/ Opal Cortlandt)

I think like Budig, many people would consider Palmer amongst their favourites. People seem to forget just how prominent he was from 1979-1997. He was always front burner! Something changed in 1998, and a lot of focus moved from the vets to the newbies.

Archived