December 21-25, 2009

Toups

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dc cubs

AMC is closing in on Days and third place in total number of viewers and tied with them for HH rating. There is more separation between them in the demo ratings but AMC has been on an upswing.

I was disappointed that Days dropped as they usually do pretty well during the holidays. Those numbers for OLTL are getting very scary. It's not just an abnormal week anymore. OLTL has been consistently down for several weeks now.

• Members

Y&R was threading down again in the summer rating-wise and its numbers were consistently below 5 million viewers. I think it was a combination of many asinine storylines, the Adam/Rafe crap being a small part of it.

It looks like they're back to being under 5 million viewers again, we can only hope their numbers get worse, and I expect they will. Y&R had lots of ratings growth in early 2009, but that faded as the rest of '09 went on.

And she is a "he." :P

• Members

Kish is somewhat new for the show so this isn't an issue of the story getting them viewers but, instead, driving them away. The str8 stuff is mainstay and garnered viewers since day one. I remember OLTL doing well six months ago and being ABC's top rated soap in households.

• Members

It is so unusual to me how AMC is so close to being the 3rd most viewed Soap.

I think DAYS has been so enjoyable as of late, and your right, it usually does well in the holidays! I so hope Day's goes up this next week, it's my favorite soap right now. And IMO, the best out of the ones we have left right now.

• Members

I think Nuke was very different from Kish. The Nuke story seemed organic and encompassed characters that the audience cared about. Luke was a character from a major family whom the audience knew from birth. It was interesting to anticipate and then see reactions from characters like Holden, Lily, Lucinda, Emma, etc. That's the same reason the Bianca coming out story was so successful. We cared about the characters involved. By contrast the Kish story has seemed forced and came out of nowhere. Why should we care about Kyle and Fish? How does their story impact characters the audience has known and cared about? It really doesn't. If they had gone the route of making a legacy character gay, then the story might've worked better. Also there's something very sweet and appealing about Van and Jake. The chemistry seems natural. I just don't get that same vibe from Scott and Brett. Another thing that's bothered me and maybe has bothered others is that just about every aspect of their story is related to the gay issue, from the coming out to the bashing. In the Nuke storylines, on the other hand, it's the story of two characters in love and their sexuality for some reason seems incidental to the storylines, which I think is a smart way to tell their story.

As for gay male storylines turning off female viewers, I don't buy that. Queer as Folk and Will & Grace had a HUGE female audience as does Brothers & Sisters. Judging by the women I work with, they love seeing hot gay guys in action...if the story and characters are appealing. I just think that this particular gay story in not attracting viewers for the reasons I mentioned above.

Archived