December 21-25, 2009

Toups

• Members

The shows might be thisclose in the 18-49s, but just looking at the numbers doesn't tell you much. The numbers crunchers also break down that demo in further percetages (i.e., what percentage of that 18-49 demo is closer to 18, what percentage is closer to 49). My guess is that although ATWT, AMC, OLTL, and GH are close in the demos, the ABC shows probably appeal to the more desirable lower age range of the 18-49 spectrum than does ATWT. Also, the ABC shows do much better in urban areas than do the CBS shows. Viewers in urban areas tend to be more affluent, and are much more desired than viewers in small towns. So again, the 18-49s on the surface are kind of pointless without knowing what the breakdown of those numbers really is.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LoyaltoAMC I don't get it either. People say OLTL is so good, but I guess I'm not seeing it. Todd and Tea make me wanna gauge my eyes out, they remind me so much of Ryan & Greenlee from AMC. I ask people what they find good about OLTL, but never really get an answer. I truly would like to know, cause I have yet to see it I guess.

Yep you know it's bad when the show's May sweeps and November sweeps story are one and the same

• Members

Agreed...sort of-If the ratings stay strong, or even surge, it could help attract some sort of industry buzz. A cancelled show climbing from 7th place to 4th or even a solid 5 says something and could get a network considering a pick-up like, say, Lifetime some extra incentive for making a deal. A couple of thousand viewers isn't anything huge but would put ATWT ahead of the ABC shows against which any cable network would have to compete against via SoapNet. I would guess that a cable channel would use World Turns in primetime meaning it would possibly be up against ABC's daytime lineup. Keep in mind that I don't honestly think anyone will take the show. Lifetime may have wanted GL but probably because of the cheap production model. World Turns looks better than it has in years, BTW.

• Members

Lifetime has had a horrible year. They rank up there with CNN and MSNBC in terms of percentage of viewers lost. They had some original programming a few years back that was actually pretty decent and now nothing. I;m not sure what happened to Army Wives. But I think they are looking to go into more reality programming and they have purchased the rights to that Julia Louis Dreyfus show on CBS for next year. But I can't see them thinking a soap would be the direction to go in.

• Members

I don't think she has caused the ratings loss but I don't think focusing so much of the show on her and Todd and their miracle daughter has done any favors.

As for Lifetime -- I'm not surprised. I have not watched anything on that network in some time. The last time I looked it was what seemed to be 12 hours a day of Will and Grace/Desperate Housewives/Wife Swap/Gray's Anatomy. No thanks! I used to watch The Nanny reruns and even those are gone.

• Members

Yeah sad but true. Once September comes around ATWT will be gone forever.

As to Lifetime they started losing viewers when they got rid of the Golden Girls. It was a ratings grabber for them. Now Hallmark has it. I remember them talking about how good GG followed by Murder She Wrote was doing well for Hallmark. But now it seems like it is Golden Girls 24/7 for Hallmark so it must be doing real well for them.

• Members

I liked the Golden Girls and The Nanny and both are gone now. The more recent additions of DH and Greys have done zip for Lifetime.

And all they show the rest of the time are movies where women get beat up and persecuted every day. Such fun to watch. Wife Swap and women getting beat up is certainly a network for women.

• Members

ITA. OLTL is the one ABC soap that I cannot get through. I am not willing suffer through the show to catch the only story that I like, Clint and Kim. I can't deal with the bad acting and the ridiculous stories. I love Schyler, but I refuse to watch scenes with the horrific Farah Fath. I have absolutely no interest in the Kyle/Fish story which so many people love on the boards.

Exactly. The last geographic breakdown that was posted here showed that ABC soaps do extremely well in the northeast media markets which include New York, the no. 1 media market. So while GH, OLTL and AMC may have similar 18 to 49 women demos to Days, ATWT, and B&B, ABC likely gets more ad revenue, this along with the advantage of owning their own soaps and recent production cuts, means that unlike with the P&G soaps on CBS, there is profit for ABC in keeping their soaps on the air.

• Members

I hate to say it but it looks like gay story scares off viewers. I'm gay but question whether daytime folks can cope with anything queer. Nuke helped ATWT for a short period but they were the first soap to play with gay so maybe it was a shock value thing. Y&R lost viewers about the time Adam went bi and Phillip rose from the dead and came out. OLTL crashed when it became the gay soap. I've even noticed ATWT now goes down when there is a major Nuke story. The really funnt thing about this is that ATWT seems to go down in Male viewers when Nuke is up front. Does this mean that most male daytime watchers are str8?

If I am wrong about all this then someone please let me know. I'm not an avid ratings watcher but there seems to be a trend here.

• Members

It's never made sense to me to show so much of a serialized drama which is already heavily aired, and repeated, as it is. Usually only reruns of non-serialized shows are more likely to do well. Like L&O. I know NCIS is somewhat serialized, but you don't have to see every episode to know what's going on. You do with DH and Gray's, and you can catch those anywhere, so there isn't even the novelty value of running something in the past, like when TNT used to run Knots Landing episodes no one had seen in ages.

I don't remember Y&R having a big ratings loss with those stories...all of which ran for about five minutes.

OLTL's ratings actually went UP when the Kish story started. Branco and others bragged about that. The ratings only fell later on, perhaps because of the somewhat questionable mass wedding storyline.

I don't think people tune out for a gay story. It may not help, but if the show is good enough, they will keep watching.

Archived