December 21-25, 2009

Toups

• Members

I agree with you about OLTL. I just don't see OLTL going any where unless the demos collapse and ABC can find decent alternative programming. A bad lead in would be the death of GH which is holding on to 3rd place in the 18 to 49 women demos by the skin of its teeth. Of course, GH will probably decide the message from Days' success is to abolish the hospital characters, finish killing off the Qs, and fire all the female characters over 35.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While the ratings for ATWT make me smile, the ones for OLTL are atrocious. However does OLTL's ratings prove that the auidence doesn't really care about vets? (ala Bob Woods, Robin Strasser, and HBS were on heavily last week. Actually Robin Strasser is a airtime favorite of RC's next to Gigi, Rex, and Todd) Will Fron see the need to copy what DAYS did in order to improve OLTL's ratings?

• Members

Yeah. I hope they dont cancel OLTL though. I hope they pull a DAYS. I mean that show might not have bee THIS low, but it was down there, and look at it now. And if for some sad reason OLTL got cancelled, I would like to see a NEW soap. I know it probably wont happen (there hasnt even been a new one since 1999 right?)....Just a hope.

• Members

I don't see any soap being able to replicate what Days did or even wanting to. Regardless of OLTL's ratings, the diehards seem to still love the show, they have problems but they use their vets. I don't care for the show, I've just never been able to adapt to it and I loved AMC in it's day so it's not an Agnes Nixon thing.

OLTL will be the next soap cancelled especially considering how close AMC was to cancellation some time back. When it happens - who knows. Interesting is that their demos are the same as ATWT and ATWT is being cancelled. What's interesting if you look at the 18-49 demo is that the CBS soaps have remained pretty stable over the past year in demos, in fact B&B's demos have actually gone up a tad yet the ABC soaps demos have ALL dropped. Even AMC with it's viewer upswing, still their demos are down from last year. That coupled with OLTL's drop and GH's disappointing ratings, can't make ABC happy. I will be very interesting in what happens with AMC with the new writing change. Personally I don;t think it will make much of a difference but those still watching may be a bit happier.

• Members

I've kind of wondered why they haven't tried something with The View in terms of extending it's airtime. Not that that would account for the entire block. And I don't know what the lineup on the east coast is for ABCD, but here in the Chicago area, Oprah is the lead in in the morning to the entire ABCD lineup and losing her here next year is going to hit hard. Losing Oprah overall is going to have a pretty significant impact IMO to everyone.

• Members

I agree with you on Fox. If you look at it as entertainment, it is pretty interesting. Fox does have more colorful personalities. If I look at it as news, it makes my hair curl. CNN does deserve it. It has become lazy. I admit that I am a news junkie. I once loved reading Sunday newspaper. I guess newspapers and daytime soaps have a lot in common. :)

USA does have some shows that I enjoy. I really like Burn Notice. Like you, I surprised USA is doing so much better than TNT. TNT has some good original programming IMO, but also some stinkers. You are probably right about soapnet. It probably is pretty inexpensive. I do wonder what it will do two or three years from now when there are fewer soaps to rebroadcast.

Archived