Y&R: Week of November 23 Discussion

• Members

Today was a good demonstration, IMO, of what happens when a good BDW/SW get to write for many of the A-list players (and few of the irritants). It makes for a very entertaining drama!

I liked most of today.

The Chancellors. For me, this was pleasing, but the best bit was Nina-Paul-Jill. That was gold, all three actors were high energy, and I think it was a pleasing face of things to come. I hope Nina acknowledges feeling a bit weird, since Chris is her best friend. I feel bad for Thom Bierdz that he is now a happy off-screen phone call from down under...but it's probably for the best. Murphy continues to delight me...I hope he remains healthy and safe.

The Abbotts. I know others detest the decimation of this clan, but I love it. I am now a total nu-Abby fan...the writing finally matches the actress' skills. She can't play happy or sad. But she can play angry and saucy. She will rock this rebellious teen thing, and she made me feel very bad for Ashley. Finally! I loved Ashley's discomfiture around Dr. P. She clearly wants nothing to do with psychiatrists...it is very threatening to express the "truth" (since she's in full repression mode). This was a nice subtext played by Eileen Davidson. I could take or leave Billy today--but I'm sure yesterday's alley-sex with Kylie/Kelly is going to come back soon (pregnancy? photos for a tabloid? STD?), and that will be fun watch. In the end, nothing is more satisfying than watching Jack sit alone--bereft--so unable to take the place of his father. Please--NEVER let Jack be happy!

The Newmans. I'm such a big dork, but I was thrilled to welcome JT and Victoria home. I don't know what the point of shipping them to New York was...was this a hasty story switch in the wake of EB's departure? I'm very surprised that JT is being positioned into business, and with Tucker...but no matter. This may bring JT more front-burner viability, so I can't complain. I may not be a Heinle fan, but I like my Newmans home.

I love how Nick feels that connection to Faith. That is the stuff good baby switches are made of...I hope this sentiment grows.

When Phyllis broke down over the crayon-turkey, I was perplexed by the intensity of her reaction. Was this due to the turkey? Or was this because it was a sign (to her) of how dysfunctional and regressed Summer remains?

And Adam-Sharon? I liked seeing them sprawl on the sofa, just enjoying each other's company. I choose to believe Muhney's vision of this--that Adam is sincere in his feelings for Sharon, and nurtures them in the hopes that they will be his path to redemption. I like that take very much...and that's what I feel I'm seeing on screen.

Previews suggest to me that tomorrow will be a much less satisfying Thanksgiving episode. Do we really need Ryder on the day before turkey? I much prefer when the attempt is to show reunion and fellowship on this day. Tuesday's episode wa s a pleasing nugget in this regard, for me.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a question for Big Red. She's walking around like June Cleaver hopped up on Black Bettys, and she doesn't manage to notice that Summer has planted crayons in the stuffing before she puts it in the oven? And after it's discovered (She sees this at the end? She didn't check on the bird in the entire cooking process?), all she can say is "We still have pie!!" REALLY? Is that all she fixed? Turkey, stuffing, and pie? There's no cranberry sauce, or any vegetables, or mashed potatoes, or dinner rolls? And you have a room full of multi-millionaire corporate execs, and NOT ONE is smart enough to realize you can still eat the BIRD. The crayons were in the stuffing, not on top of the bird.. and crayons are totally non-toxic anyway... that's why we give them to children to play with, they can CHEW ON THEM, and EAT THEM even, and not get hurt.

• Members

Well, I've been intrigued by Wilson Bethel, but I'm fast getting bored with the inconsistent characterization of Ryder. We don't need another grifter, I don't consistently get the sense that he regrets his actions (sometimes I do)...but other times he seems downright nasty/evil.

So, with that, I don't need him in a "heartwarming" Turkey Day episode.

LOL...I thought the same thing about the turkey...just scrape out the stuffing, and eat the outside of the bird. Non-toxic, no harm done.

• Members

I co-sign with much of this.

You know, there is a rather long thread on another board addressing Phyllis' reaction to her screwed up turkey. There was post after post after post from women who'd had similar meltdowns on a holiday after something BIG didn't go right or turn out. I get the feeling that someone who crafted the story projected their own experience onto Phyllis today.

Adam and Sharon still leave me cold. I think it's because I am still not quite buying that SC is on board. Her character is still very stiff and stand off-ish in some ways. Just not catching enough warmth--yet.

• Members

There should be nothing warm in a woman who just lost her baby to birth defects being manipulated by the creep who did it. I'm glad Sharon is playing that, although I'm not even sure if she is, or if Muhney just lacks chemistry with her, as he does with everyone else.

Mark, thanks for explaining about Ryder. The "bad boy" types on here are very inconsistent, I think because the show has no idea how to make us pity them, so we get a lot of flailing around from people who share stories with them.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Thanksgiving episode.

• Members

Why is this for the best? I'm depressed as hell.

I agree that this bratty teenage bitch from hell suits her much better (Maybe she's playing herself?) but if this is the ONLY note she can play, which seems to be the case, I'd still get rid of her really fast.

I was SO SAD for Jack today, he's this poor figure who tries so hard, and can never catch a break. He tries to go the "evil" route like the big dogs do, and it alwasy backfires on him, while Victor is shitting rosebuds and sunshine after all the evil he's unleashed on the world. The futility of it all is depressing as hell.

Oh, her reaction was DEFINATELY all about the fact that if Summer had not been brain damaged, this would never have happened. I thought that part of the scene was powerful and well done, even if the bitch is so dumb to think that a few crayons INSIDE a turkey, make the outer portion inedible.

I think this is falling flat, theyr'e trying to make a romance blossom is like 6 episodes? PLEASE. IF this happened over the course of 4 months, I MIGHT be able to buy it. And she is just puttering around her house alone, and gets together with Adam for the holiday? WHERE'S YOUR POOR, CRIPPLED MOTHER, SHARON? YOU GONNA MAKE HER ROAST HER OWN TURKEY FROM HER WHEELCHAIR?

• Members

It's for the best because otherwise Phillip would probably be dead. I'm still shocked they didn't have him die saving Cane, in some sort of great "irony". Bierdz deserves better, and so do fans, so I guess this is better than nothing.

I think the writing for the Abbotts is a copout. They heard how many fans saw that family as dead, so now they are just admitting it. That's OK, but I wish they could do the same for the Newmans, and the Chancellors. The show does not do family.

I agree with you about Abby. She can't act, so let's just write for the tiny range she has. They do this with a lot of the actors on the show. The weaknesses of their new hires are coddled. It results in very stale drama. They should hire a better casting director.

• Administrator

Okay, I'm getting excited for Y&R again! Nina/Paul/Jill - is this triangle going to happen? I hope so. That kiss between Paul/Nina was great. I'm also enjoying Sharon/Adam because I think the climax of their story will be awesome to watch. The way I want this story to happen is that they fall in love and get engaged. Then for May sweeps, the baby switch comes out at their wedding which takes place on Mother's Day - the perfect day for Sharon to reunite with Faith (or you can have it that they reunite on the day Cassie died which also takes place in May). That's the basic outline. There's some other stuff that should happen between now and the wedding. So basically for the next 6 months, you build up for this big moment! So with these two stories, along with the Lauren story and the business story, that makes 4 stories I'm looking forward to. So far so good, and I could be back on the Y&R bandwagon very soon. :)

Archived