Y&R: Week of November 23 Discussion

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is very intriguing.

Would you say it has an influence on you? How does it affect you? How does it affect the millions of viewers watching regularly? I.e. are they to become more violent in their lives? Or something like that? What are the implications, if any, on human psyche if it's constantly exposed to that kind of television? And does it say something about the people if they want more and don't stop watching even if it disgusts them?

• Members

The whole thing with Sharon and Adam is that it's as hollow as it is toxic. They skipped over the grieving process of Sharon and her baby, because they would rather we just enjoy this "romance" with Adam, and enjoy Nick and Adam chest-bumping.

They did a storyline on Corrie where Tony Gordon had his wife's lover run over. His wife then ran off when she learned the truth, and Tony fell in love with Maria, the widow of the man he'd killed. This was all a bit ridiculous, but there were at least a period of months where Maria became insane with grief and paranoia, sure that Tony had killed her husband. She even went as far as running Tony down. Then finally, when no one would believe her, she gave up, and became full of guilt over her actions. She fell in love with Tony, over time, as he did with her, almost like some sort of conditioning on both their parts.

This story was plot driven and not exactly perfect, but at least they played the beats.

Y&R wants to have it both ways, they want the drama, but they rush through the buildup.

• Members

I'd believe this Sharinit/Adam [!@#$%^&*] if she had the affair with Adam instead of Billy and when he found out she was having Nick's baby, took the baby away from both out of jealousy. Adam still has not been given a motive for his actions which is why this storyline as a whole sucks the greatest soap a$$ next to Erica's AMC's (unheard of in today's medical history, let alone 30 years ago) unabortion/embryo transplant.

• Members

I don't disagree that she should committ to what the story says , the MM using movies to win her over thing I'm not going to conclusively point my finger at that being fact when I don't know for sure if he has to "win her over" this way. I don't necessarily think that is fair to say either but that's my opinion on that. I don't know of (other than Brad ) her other "romantic pairings". Her chemistry with BM was fine actually, and I'm trying to remember who PB last had major chemistry with in the romance pair ups.

• Members

Brilliant to you, but your opinion is not everyone else's opinion. How many times do you need to get into that discussion?

I personally am not a fan of stand alone episodes on soaps, and Y&R was one of the few soaps that very rarely if ever did crap like that.

And the "good things" this regime has done has been done a million times better in past regimes, and that's my opinion.

• Members

This discussion was about the Michael episode that aired last year, and if you read my original posts on it, I was not blown away by it.

And yes, a lot can change in a year, and now they've officially had more time at the helm of this show than Latham (post Smith and Alden), and they've made many of the same mistakes and compounded many of her mistakes. Do I believe they've officially gotten worse than Latham? Hell yes. But also, their awfulness and incompetent writing skills is of a different style than her's.

2009 has been an overall disaster, but I did enjoy some of the latter part of 2008 - I have no problems admitting that, but that was their beginning honeymoon period, which ended long ago. Now the show is officially a directionless mess thanks to this writing regime, and if Latham can be called out for her mistakes and what she did to this show, then so can this awful current writing regime.

Archived