OLTL: Discussion for the week November 9

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Today demonstrated the biggest problem with Destiny/Shenell Edmonds. Lacking skill, she plays everything cutesy, taking sympathetic lines and mouthing them in a babyish voice like a ten year old. This isn't her everyday voice; she applies a cadence to certain bits to amp up the "cute" where it's really inappropriate, and I think either she does that or the director tells her to do that because they know she can't sell the pathos. "Oh, Greg took your woman! Well golly, he's still your brooottthherrr! So it's twwwuueee!" (shrug, head toss) No emotion, no layers, no anything. She just plays it like Shirley Temple. Or maybe Dee on What's Happening!!

• Members

She wishes she had that Danielle Spencer magic, and Danielle slept walked through seasons two and three. We were watching today, and Des kinda flubbed one of her lines. The Missus was like, "Is that the best take they had??" I had to be all, "Uhhh, see, they really don't retake unless you REALLY F up..."

Vee, I think you may be giving SE too much credit, I'm not so sure that she does things like make acting choices. I think memorization is her top priority. Finding a good kid actor is so hard, they are either dull as dish water, or just too damn precocious for their own good (have you ever seen the little girl on Tyler Perry's House of Payne?). I must say, I'd almost rather a dull kid over an obnoxious one from the Disney Channel School of Acting. But I know without a shadow of a doubt, there is a young girl out there who's the perfect balance for the role. But strangely (VERY strangely), SE's stilted line readings have almost become endearing to me.

• Members

I just wish she wouldn't do the singsong babyish "I made you a cookie, but I eeeaaaattted it!" voice on lines about Greg stealing Shaun's lady. It drove me nuts. Like, well, she has no apparent emotions, but she can be cute!

• Members

Oh, Roscoe Born. Your voice does things to me!

I see Bo & Nora (as a pairing)still haven't found "all" that chemistry their fanbase claims they fart out of the wazoo.

Destiny is only good when paired with David/Tuc.

• Members

She'll be even better if paired with an acting coach. She reminds me of a little girl that one ABC's soap fan week but they forgot to tell her to go home after 3 line scene.

For what though? They were rather boring and I dont feel they have anything more to add to the show. They got their happy ending. The show should just leave them at that

• Members

I liked that they were fairly regular people (when Marcie wasn't being insane or being used as a prop for Starr and Todd). I thought they added balance to the show and were much more natural together than many of the stuporcouples pushed at their expense. I'm glad we at least got to see them this one last time.

• Members

I liked that Kathy Brier could act and Stack was fairly decent. Marcie and Michael don't always have to have their own story to be useful. They are the type of characters that every soap should have floating around ready to integrate them into bigger stories. I would have liked it if Marcie got to know Stacy who I think has potential. Marcie could also be Schyler's friend. Marcie is the kind of character who can help redeem other characters.

Archived