OLTL: Discussion for the week November 9

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if this should go in this thread or last week's but the contrast between Viki seeing the open grave and Jessica walking towards what will presumably be the rotting corpse of her husband was genuinely frightening. I was afraid they might just stick a wig on a skeleton or something, but to just not let us see it, just see her reaction, will be more effective.

Also genuinely frightening...

Aunt Corinne:

Rex, don't let them arrest me!

<Rex bugs his eyes>

Rex, don't do this to me!

<Rex bugs his eyes>

I know who your father is!

<Rex bugs his eyes>

When did mugging that wouldn't even be allowed in Our Gang become the default mode for him?

• Members

Yeah, this is pretty terrible with the rotting corpse and the wig. :( Disturbing.

OMG, Gigi and Rex are SO annoying, and they are holding their awful own in separate scenes no less. Gigi drunk, there are just no words...

• Members

So they showed the corpse today? I was hoping they wouldn't, that would leave more up to our imagination, which is more frightening.

He's like that poor guy on American Idol a few years ago, the auditioner, with the bug eyes. At least that poor man had a condition. JPL's only condition seems to be be badactoritis. It gets worse and worse. Do the directors really think this is a good idea? Do they want people to be taken out of the scenes?

• Members

Carl, it was pure Dark Shadows/Fright Night-type stuff, the zoom in and everything. Across the country, toddlers/future soap fans definitely got a lasting memory out of that one.

JPL needs better direction, he is undermining this s/l with all of his schtick. Even Tuc knows when to reign it in. The thing is, JPL can be quite effective in his emotional moments, he needs to come over this hump as an actor, this insecurity in wanting to play it safe with the comedy (which oftentimes comes off worse than if he'd have actually tried to connect emotionally to the material).

• Members

He says so much with his eyes. I'm still not entirely sure about where the character is going but he's done a wonderful job and I'm so glad they veered him into the more emotional scenes, where he excels at playing so many layers.

Archived