Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 26, 2009

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now that you mention this, I've had this fantasy about Phillip buying Indigo from Neil (Since Kay gave him a REAL position, he doesn't have time for it anymore) and he turns it into a gay bar. Strippers on Saturday night. Hell... if they can do stripper SL's with Nikki and Brittany Hodges, why not do it with people the fanbase would ENJOY looking at? Melody and her ever present braless scenes are enough to satisy the straight men, need some stuff for the gay men and str8 women! Rafe can get drunk one night and participate in the wet "Tighty whities" contest... and Heather can take a snapshot and hold it over his head as revenge for ruining her happiness by offering his mangina up to Adam.

• Members

They did have a male stripper story in the 80s, although I've never seen it, just heard about it. With Cash.

I really want to see JT become a male stripper, at the very least, so I'm just going to throw that into the universe.

• Members

Yech to the bolded part. Lost my dinner.

With regard to your concept--though it is colorful--I do think something more GC-style like this (Phillip turns Jimmy's into a gay hangout) would be a very different thing for daytime...and it could be done tastefully but with humor and energy. All the straight single girls would go there to dance too. THAT would be a plausible place for Katy Perry to come visit.

By the way, who offered what mangina...or whether one was offered...was never discussed. I suspect that whatever happened was far less...involved.

I'm so disappointed they're not going to develop Rafe and Estella further. But I realize the canvas is overstuffed.

• Members

Here are some thoughts from today's show and some yesterday's:

I understand on soap operas it normal for men to be jackasses to the women they supposedly love (ex: Carly and Jack, Josh and Reva), but I really hope they don't go there with Nikki and Victor redux. Both Ashley and Nikki deserve better than him. It seems like the writers are going to sweep the famous "I wish you were dead" line under the rug. When Nikki called him out on it he said " I didn't mean it, I was angry". Isn't that men say to the women they abuse after they hit them?

I know this will never happen, but I wish this show would let Victor go down in flames before he leaves for two months. Nick shouldn't be running to Daddy after what he did to Summer and Phyllis shouldn't be considering working for him. I'm not a parent, but I thought people put their children before their parents. The writers should let these characters (other than Billy and Jack) be pissed off at him and not let Victor get the last word and let him be the loser for once. It would have been interesting to see how the characters would be if they didn't revolve around Victor.

Since Cassie's picture was shown I thought Nick and Sharon were going to have sex. It seems that everytime Cassie is mentioned her parents decide they want to be together or they hump.

It was nice seeing Noah today and it's a shame he's stuck trying to stop his Aunt Abby from hitting on Ryder (God I feel like putting the word easy in front of Ryder's name). We should see more of him once this Daisy story starts.

JT and Lauren are sort of in the same boat. Both have to deal with their spouses' crazy and obnoxious relatives.

Can Nick take the building from Billy? I thought Billy bought the apartment. What happened to no backsies.

I think it's pre requisite for every Fisher to be conspiring. Wilson was probably cast as a Fisher for his "creepy" looks.

No Lane. There is a silver lining.

Maybe he can go undercover. From what I hear TL has no problem doing nudity. Not that I would know.

Now that you put that out in the universe he'll never be shirtless again.

• Members

Nikki/Victor redux is a part of the Y&R package I can accept it as much as I can accept that people want to see different things on their soaps. My only objection comes in when they are trying to sell Victor and Nikki as a love story, that ship sailed a long time ago. This is "My fair lady" told with heavy tragic drama and darker characters. "My Fair Lady" as it was wasn't really romance to me it was more about classism vs humanism vs sexism

Anyway onto Victor Newman. I was just listening to the Daytime Confidential podcast, I can understand Victor never seeing himself as wrong but the fact that when everybody else KNOWS he is wrong they still seemingly bow to him (minus the remaining Abbot men) seems to want to justify the character as some kind of hero. The character is a pompous a$$, and yes there is room for him because much of them exist but the minute he does something wrong and tragedy hits him everybody is made to baby him? What is that? Write the character from a every viewer perspective for one beat at least

• Members

The writing is generally contemptuous of the audience. The show sees Victor as a "man with balls". He is their big stud. He fits what they want society to admire. Hogan and Rauch love to have men like this dominate their shows and choke the life out of them. It's also easier, because you can just reduce a majority of your characters to being pawns. Can you imagine how easy it was to write today's show? Just have everyone and their brother run around saying, "How dare he blaspheme Victor!" while Victor himself gets to sit in the background, pretending to be magnanimous.

Ashley and Nikki are degraded beyond belief. The show again has it easy, because viewers can just say, "Well, Nikki and Ashley have always been Victor's doormats," and that's it. They no longer have any personality, any drive, nothing. They sort of tip-toe around how Victor has destroyed them but they always go back. Even now, as the show was writing EB out, they had those scenes with Victor and Ashley where you just know that he sees Ashley is self-destructing (again) and he will soon ride to the rescue.

• Members

You know what I shouldn't have expected anything better because had they wrote it as it should have been then they would be a bit more fearful EB's big fat bluff (and I called it in the thread in the spoiler section)would turn a bit more difficult. I'm sure all kinds of grudges will be held over his should be fictional character being written off (however temporary) in a certain light

• Members

Oh my goodness! Sincerely, I'm amazed. You are the first person I have ever encountered to change their mind about Adam. Wow! I sincerely hope the show rewards you.

Re Nick: He sold the magazine, but NOT the building in which it was housed. Brilliant!

If Y&R writers "troll these boards" looking for stories the fans want ( :lol: ), JT as nude stripper is out there now! Let's see it. Way back, Bill Bell pushed the daytime envelope by being the first to show bare male backsides in daytime (Doug Davidson, Don Diamont). Maybe he'd go for a trifecta with Thad. Thanks to Nip/Tuck, we do know it would be worth it.

Thank you for seeing this! Thank you! What has made V&N compelling over these decades is not their love...it is their sickness!!! Bill Bell always plumbed these dark depths with that couple, with Jack-Victor, with Jill-Kay. Even his original quad (Lance-Lorie-Leslie-Lucas) was all sickness, all the time. That's part of the signature formula of this show.

CarlD2, I think you know I love you. I'm sincere. You have such a consistent voice and perspective, but you're always respectful (except vis-a-vis Ted Shackleford's neck).

But honestly, you can blame Sheffer and Rauch for everything -- even global warming (large body masses and cigars are bad for the environment)--but they really don't deserve blame for this vision of Victor.

This version of Victor, as Cashton wrote elsewhere, is all in the DNA of the character. It is the vision that Eric Braeden and Bill Bell spun 3 decades ago. They are actually just being custodians of the Victor character, but he is the ORIGINAL "man with balls".

Now, I'd agree that Victor has become darker and less forgiveable...something that actually started just *before* the epilepsy story, and then in the "recovery" phase, and ever since. But even that can't be pinned on Rauch-Sheffer...since it predated them.

I'm prepared to concede that Rauch-Sheffer are the twin anti-christs, and they probably deserve a lot of blame. (Alvin would want me to remember that MAB is to blame too!!). But re: Victor...that's a much longer story.

On another note, yesterday I FINALLY saw a clear example of "too bright light". Sharon was simply OVERLIT in the Rawlings mansion yesterday. It made no sense. I'm thinking they maybe went for brighter generic overhead lighting, and cut back on key lights, as a way of saving money???

Archived