Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 26, 2009

• Members

The thing with Liz Hendrickson is I'm not sure if she can really play heat. A lot of soap actors can't, so she's not exactly alone, but I think if they try to sell her that way, she's going to struggle. I think she's like Rebecca Budig, they're generally not great at having romantic chemistry or passion. She can still bring a lot to the show, there are plenty of places they can go with Chloe. She would be perfect for the types of cosmetic rivalry stories they used to have with Jabot and Newman, or what they used to do with Lucy and Katherine on GH or Erica on AMC.

My problem with Billy/Chloe is I just don't believe Billy cares about her. He cheated on her hours before their wedding and then he was mooning over Mackenzie almost immediately after their marriage began. I think we're supposed to see Chloe as representing what Billy needs, but I don't see that in their relationship. When they banter, I can practically see the words hanging in the air. At least Devon and Chloe had some believable back and forth.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Me too. Mac isn't supposed to be some happy go lucky deb. At this point, I don't even get the negative comments about her looks. When she started, she did look a little rough, but she looks much better now. I don't see that she's particularly frumpy or old looking these days. She doesn't look 25, but she doesn't look 35 now either, imo. I also think the longer hair suits her much better.

• Members

I think the long hair looks very fake, especially the ponytail.

I don't have a problem with Clementine, she's doing what's in the script. I just think that there was no reason for Mac to return. Mackenzie and Billy were never my favorite couple but they weren't about a scold/do-gooder holding back the messy boyfriend she just can't handle. That's all this Mac exists for. Everything else about her has been made irrelevant.

• Members

My favorite recent couple of that ilk was JT/Colleen. We see where that got me... :(

I agree with you though. While I love Clementine and her gloomy take on Mac, I think the fact that writers have no idea what to do with her is just criminal.

Well, we know what happens on this show when they have no idea what to do with you, these days... See JT/Colleen above.

• Members

Honestly it started with Chloe beeing a bit loony then I guess they saw opportunity and roped the character in and the way I see it when BM came in as Billy Chloe was used to prop Billy rather than the other way around. The chmistry doesn't exist between BM and CF, t just doesn't. I think what-ever plans may have ensued for that QUAD they had to go back to the drawing boards with it. Mac's return should have been better handled let's face it. I think CF is fine I just don't necessarily think these writers have the handle on her character. When CF first started she was awkward in the role but she grew into it, her biggest prob right now no chem w/Billy. I don't feel anything for their relationship either way. I say all this to say I sense BM and EH had more sparks in the very beginning, but I sense somewhere along the line both were instructed to tone that down. Mac, Billy, Chloe, Chance all distinctive unique individual characters with loads of potential played by strong performers. It's clear the writing and directing doesn't have a handle on what they really have here

• Members

I think there are supposed to be sparks between Billy and Chloe. We're at the point now where Billy didn't even want to divorce her because of lingering feelings for her, or so the writers claim. Perhaps they were toned down when he was nailing Sharon and going after Mackenzie, but even then, there could have been something. I think that the show just lost track of the relationship, and so did the actors, because the writing is all over the place. They had months to really define the relationship and they never bothered.

• Members

I agree, but now is a good time to fix that one way or the other. I don't mind that Billy was cheating on Chloe and didn't care about her when they got married. He had no reason to even like her at that point. I would like it if it takes awhile for things to really develop, but I do think it's time that we see the relationship as less one sided, if that's what it's supposed to be.

• Members

That is the problem right there. They don't write these dynamics well at all, Chloe and Billy's dynamic should be developed well. At the same time it should be complicated, they both have their issues beyondbeing ind enial about each other. They both seemingly started off way smarter than they have gotten, do we have regress everyone's intelligence? come on now stop treating the audience like fools

• Members

IMO after Chloe was revealed as Esther's daughter and being preggo w/Billy's kid it shouldn't have been hard at that point. The missing beats are the play on what can make these two dynamic characters. The reveal between Chloe and Billy about his selfish fling with Sharon was a lay out of where the two could go, are they some happy or sappy or lovey dovey couple? No. But they pushed this Mac Billy thing so HAAAAAAARRRRRDDD that it trumped all other relationships between both Billy and Mac. It regressed both the Billy and Mac characters imo and left the Chloe character in a limbo and now Chance has been brought back and left the same way. It's kind of like they are writing them backwards, they keep ommitting layers to each character and the other characters aren't allowed to move forward until they are ready for the regressed ones to catch up again. I'm not saying to forget the connections of the charaters but if they wanted Mac and Billy so bad then they should have moved Chloe and Chance forward and Mac & Billy forward until they reached another crossroads with each other.

• Members

I think they didn't really want Mac and Billy, I think the point was supposed to be that Billy's past was his past and he was never going to be a "good" person. I think they may have rushed her back in because they had to drop the story with Billy and Lily. I think that we are supposed to see Chloe as being more for the "real" Billy.

Whether they will give more development, I don't know.

Oh goodness, Eileen Davidson looks like she is in physical pain "acting" with Abby...

Archived