SPOILER- Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At least Gary Tomlin had a strong vision for what he wanted to implement on DAYS.

Y&R, right now, lacks anything resembling a vision or identity.

Also, unlike John and Marlena, Victor and Nikki haven't been rendered irrelevant for years now. Basically half the show revolves around Victor, and that is not an easy situation to get out of unless there's a strong vision and strong writers at the show...

• Members

I haven't seen the outrage because Eric Braeden was fired. I've seen outrage because veterans are sacrificed for the sake of newbies. That's different from people being angry because and only because of Braeden. Many were actually happy to see him go.

• Members

The thing is Sony needs to look at the difference between the two situations.

DAYS was forced to cut 40% of its budget. They could have fired everyone but 6 people, or fired four from the top, let go of others, and lower others contracts (Sweeney, Reckell, etc all have talked about the pay cuts they took). Days didnt have it in the budget to do anything else. In addition the show also cut back on its tape sch (i ready days is dark like 16 weeks a year!). And yes the show brought on newbies and even brought back CC, but does anyone actually think that adds up to what they saved by cutting SN/MBE/DH/DH/TP? Furthermore Patch/Kayla just didnt seem to fit or work when they came back, Tony was a joke, and John/Marlena hadnt mattered in a really long time. Then after the cuts the show was ready - it had a direction. They had all these 10-15 year players ready to take over. Sami, Lucas, Nicole, Philip - they lead storylines as they weaved newbies in and used the vets they had left like they hadnt been used in 20 years.

Y&R on the other hand, while needing to trim the budget, seems to be doing it all wrong. They bring in not just newbies, but people who dont work for the min. They have a over inflated cast and 60% of them are unused anyways. But they take on Jill, Nikki, Victor? Are Jack & Kay next? These are characters that are extreamly relevant to the canvas. Hell, 95% of Y&R revolves around Victor.

Y&R could easily do what Days did, but Victor is not the equal to patch, kayla, john, marlena, and tony. The show also lacks a strong next generation and generation after to take over. Victor will leave a huge hole in Y&R that the dad from boy meets world and endless newbies cant fill.

• Members

Now this I can certainly believe...and it appears Sony could be having a hard time too!! Someone needs to walk with a hidden camera and tape this stuff - right now this is more entertaining than the show. :lol::lol:

You know there is an easy solution..MAB and the Bells can create their own TV network that way they can have control over everything and no one gets to tell them what to do.

• Members

And we'll get to see just how bad the show is even without CBS. :lol:

All I know is Y&R wasn't like this with past writers who worked with both Barbara Bloom at CBS and Steven Kent at Sony. It has to be specific to THIS writing team. Also, it's no coincidence given MAB's lack of experience and Sheffer and Hamner's reputation that the show is the way it is.

Archived