Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I checked in on the thread and he, indeed, forgot that Mary had portrayed Meta on Guiding Light. The way it was written, it was hard to tell if he forgot/didn't know she had been in Springfield, or was objecting to her inclusion on the list. He also mentioned that his first writing gig was Search for Tomorrow

• Members

He wrote SFT too? I know he has worked on The Guiding Light, Santa Barbara, The Bold and the Beautiful and General Hospital. Anything else?

I know that at the very least, PM was on the writing staff when Buzz Cooper descended upon Springfield.

• Members

Some people have Twitter accounts where images by default are marked as sensitive so they are not slammed on their phones and will only see them if they click okay. This is a good idea if you worry about NSFW content accidentally being shown.

• Members

No....Candace is very nice but a bit of a FAN and most likely is a living example of the Focus Group mentality the show wanted to gear itself to...she used to go to all the old fan club events,etc.  I was referring to her old posts on the MD boards..I think...and she would go NUTS over LW's Cassie.. and seemed to watch the show just for her and Richard and all the latest "stars" of GL like Manny and Gush..she was so PISSED off when the new actress took over to play Cassie but posted taht she was "Winning me OVER..she sent me a personal NOTE..." which I always thought was..odd. I think she moderates the FB GL page and after I and a couple of other people responded to a post saying Jonathon and Buzz were unlikeable...(not the actors mind you) I got my comment wiped and she sent me. chirpy message explaining that the board was only for "Positive people who love GL.." kind of thing, which was fine, she was nice about it (though my comment was mild to say the least..) She just always pops up on social media about GL so ...of course Candace responds!

Yea, that is what I meant about father issues, which PM actually talks about on his Twitter. His father left him and his family behind and this was kind of PM's way of fixing the past and having the father come home and take responsibility..so its kind of like Marland's and idealized farm family thing.  PM seems really funny, smart and actually he is nice and appreciative of all the fans who respond but damn if I can not get his Buzz thing..you create a fantasy dad who is a loud mouth spitting, arm flapping clown???

• Members

@FrenchBug82, @MichaelGL, @robbwolff There were some plot holes in the Annie story but I chalked that up to the various EP/HW changes from 1994-1998.

Going from what was on YT yrs ago

JFP (1994-1995): Annie was introduced as a nurse from Chicago that won a fellowship at Cedars. Annie was shown drinking wine at a restaurant and beer at a pool hall. Annie and Rick's first meeting at Cedars hinted they shared a past in Chicago.

Laibson/McTavish (1995-1996): Annie was shown at an AA meeting where she spoke of being sober for one year. It was revealed that Annie was married to Rick and the marriage ended over her drinking and the involvement with Jake. 

Rauch/E&B (1997-1998): Annie was married to Eddie Banks and Annie faked her death to escape drug theft charges.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Please join Carolyn Ann Clark (Lesley Ann Monroe) and Kristen Vigard (Morgan Richards) live in The Locher Room on Wednesday, June 16th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. Don't miss the chance to catch up with these two talented Springfield residents as they share memories of that special time on Guiding Light.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Many viewers seem to become ultra-fixated on their favorite performers/characters/romantic pairs; sometimes beyond all reason. I cringe when they wax on poetically and endlessly about how this actor or that character is "my reason to get up in the morning, the center of my entire universe!"

We all have our favorites, but really: there's a line between interest (even devout interest) and obsessive fixation.

UGH! The "I only tolerate praise and positive comments" people are unbearable, particularly when they are somehow in charge and have the power to censor and delete even the most valid, thoughtful and interesting criticisms. Any show that airs five days a week, 52 weeks a year, for DECADES is going to take missteps and fail occasionally. Ignoring this reality and pasting an artificial, happy smile on your face at all times is just...delusional.

I cannot comprehend his attachment to Buzz either, but to each his own. I've never understand some viewers' interest in Sonny and Jason from GH, Roger Howarth (in any role on on any show), Richard, Crassie, the Shayme family and the greasy Santos mob on TGL, etc., etc., etc. In one of his latest tweets, however, PM seemed to imply that he did not see the death of Maureen Bauer as serious as the death of other characters on TGL like Nadine Cooper and Ross Marler, and the elimination of Michael Zaslow from the canvas immediately upon his diagnosis. I was really tempted to sign up to Twitter just to ask about that, but again: to each his own.  No one else has to care about Maureen just because *I* did. Besides, if I ever did join Twitter, I'd be sorely tempted to leave withering replies for the MAGA supporters, the enthusiastic cheerleaders of rapist characters on soaps, etc. 

It's best not to open up THAT can of worms, LOL.

• Members

I rarely if ever am on at the right time to see these, but it would be interesting to hear Carolyn talk about her time at ATWT, which was entirely dominated by the writers strike, and Kristen to talk about her departure from GL and OLTL (wasn't she fired both times?). Kristen was incredibly special as Morgan - she really carried a great deal of Morgan's story on her back and that did not become clear until after her departure.

Edited by DRW50