Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's really on JFP and the writers for giving her such a fantastic, heartbreaking exit. I've only ever seen Mauren's last 5 or so episodes and she's someone I want to see more of, a journey I want to follow to see how she comes out on the other side. But instead she's just dead.

• Members

I never found Maureen boring. As a kid, I was drawn to her character, and I remember liking her friendships with Vanessa and Roger. I was devastated when she was killed off. I was young and I didn't know why they would do such a stupid thing. I stopped watching GL for years until the Annie years, but I never felt the same about the show.

• Members

Yes The Children's hour idea with Holly & Olivia was claire Labine's idea

As for the Tim Werner recasts

Did Bacon quit? He came to GL and finishing filming Friday The 13th

After Chris Marcantel left GL, he did AW for 9 months and then LOVING from 1983-85 & 1993-95. I think he was underrated and should have done more soaps. Did GL fire him?

Was Nigel Reed that disliked at GL? I dont think his Wally McFadden was that liked at AMC either

Edited by John

• Members

Thanks for the rundown. Giancarlo Esposito played Clay, right? The lack of black cast on GL in the '80s, compared to what ATWT and AW were attempting, is striking (even though they were far from perfect). The most viewers got was IQ, or whatever his name was, who was mostly there to support Lujack and Beth. I don't think I've heard much about Matt. 

JFP, I believe, once tried to take credit for why people were upset over Maureen's death, saying that they had built her up in the last six months and trying to treat it as an, "oops, lol" type situation. I had been a fan of Maureen from the time I started watching, pre-JFP. Ellen Parker always brought a lot to the part, even in lean times, and successfully replaced a well-liked actress. She made Maureen mean something to viewers. Not Phelps. The failure of many of JFP's new characters makes that very clear.