Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I have been watching a ton of 1990 to 1994ish GL.  I haven’t once found Maureen boring.  I love her with Michelle, and Vanessa, and Bridget. I could watch an entire episode of just her and Vanessa and be happy.  I love her friendship with Roger, and her complicated relationship with Holly.  Focus groups should not be dictating story.

If anyone is boring to me it’s Ed.  I have just spent all night watching the YouTube compilation of her death, and he’s close to awful in a lot of it.  Stoic and broken is absolutely a normal way to grieve for a lot of people.  I don’t need him wailing.  But he is just sour all the time.  Way before this in the stuff I have seen he has the same look on his face and demeanor.  

I think JFP has produced a lot of excellent work over the years.  But the carnage in her wake of fired or killed off fan favorites and her forcing bland characters down people’s throats has done more damage than any of the good she has done.  Shockingly OLTL is the only show she didn’t decimate.  Plenty of forced characters though.

Edited by titan1978

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Pretty production values are nice , but ageism, poor casting (of the same actors repeatedly) and stunts aren't why I have always loved soaps. RESPECT for the fans and the characters are the two major things JFP has 

been failing at for decades. Thank gawd no one has hired her, especially after her lousy runs on Y&R and GH.  She can enjoy being put out to pasture the same way she did to so many beloved actors.

Put out to pasture? lol I picture Jill spending her days counting her Emmys (11 of them) - no other EP has 11 emmys, counting her money, and being glad that she isn’t in the crapfest known as daytime. I’m certain that she doesn’t feel like she was put out to pasture. She sold her home a couple years ago for something like $2.4 million so she’s not hurting for money. She probably lives in an even bigger home now. I’m sure that JFP is just fine and sends her love. 

How could Kevin be let out of his contract in 1981 to do Animal House when Animal House was released in 1978? 

You caught me! How did you find me out? I’m so ashamed that I’ve been outed. RME. First, you people find out that Beth Ehlers is posting on here and now you find me out. Really good detectives, I tell ya. 

Poor Ellen Parker never had much of a career after GL. She did a play near where I live a few years back. The Playhouse sat 50 people. She must’ve made big bucks on that one!  

• Members

Don't feed the troll just because it's belatedly attempting to change up its play style. It's about finding a topic, any topic which will inflame users and make people respond. Same as the Y&R threads a few years ago. Memes and GIFs only feed it. Block or ignore. I'd say report, but....

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't really care, but your spirited defenses of someone you presumably don't know and whom largely elicits contempt from almost every corner of the soap fandom makes me wonder what stakes you have in it. 

You gave your opinion, folks disagree with it. Move on. No need for the series of petulant, nasty responses because folks had the audacity to say something you dislike. 

You know, you're right, Vee. *sigh* already given this one too much of my energy. Moving on. 

• Members

They have no stakes. It's just another angle. Starve it and when it gets desperate enough to show out more, that will be the end. But you can be rid of it now by cutting it out of your presence.

• Members

If anyone deserves credit for making Maureen beloved..it wouldn't be Jill.  It was a combination of Ellen Parker,  Pam Long (who I thought wrote Maureen as wise, funny, warm, flawed,  and wisely made her the matriarch), and Nancy Curlee (who continued what Long started...and crafted the lead up to the story).

If anything, I would have written Maureen as leaving town instead of dying.  I also think it odd that viewers blamed Lillian..when Ed was as much t blame...and in some ways took advantage of Lilloan during a vulnerable time.