Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is honestly the reunion I didn't realize I needed or wanted. It's been a lot of fun lol

LOL it is

Joy seems so chill and she looks fantastic. 

BTW I can't reply in messages for some reason on Chrome or Firefox. Not sure what's wrong so I wasn't ignoring your birthday message  and yes on that on certain poster. Anyway ... back to the chat

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Such a wholesome group of actors. It's sad that the writing was not there for the Santoses. You introduce a Hispanic family and you make them mobsters? With no research whatsoever on mob families in order to make it believable? Sorry, that never works. 

I missed Joie's first few minutes. What did she say about the cloning storyline?

• Members

Alan mentioned that JL was first cast as Reva's teenage clone and everyone else was surprised. He said that she impressed tptb so much that she won the role of Michelle only a few months later. I loved that JL had a scrapbook of her time at GL.

• Members

Even Saundra mentioned that she felt Carmen was too one dimensional, she got tired of bullying Michelle all the time, and that she wanted Carmen to have a romantic storyline. I remember Carmen having a brief flirtation with Edmund, but what if she married Alan, tried to go straight and gain the acceptance of Springfield society? Carmen was never properly integrated into the cast, and we never saw any vulnerable sides to her character. There was so much potential in Ray, Maria, and Pilar as well that was never realized because of the cartoony nature of the mob stories. I remember SS saying in an interview years ago that she and Miriam Colon never got to have a real showdown over Carmen killing her son.

I liked the Santos family at first but by the time JL left they had run their course. The mob storylines weren't right for GL, if the Santoses were to ever be a major family of GL they needed to get rid of the organized crime element. Same with the Winslows and the San Cristobel storylines which were running at the same time as the mob storylines. It just didn't fit, and gave GL an identity crisis which it briefly recovered from in 2002.

• Members

She was also on the show about 8 years earlier playing Antonio Vega's bio mom. I wonder if she just had a blip. Or she didn't realize they were pre-Santos family. 

I wish someone could ask her about whether she was cast on OLTL in '91 as Maggie Vega. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

You're right.  I too wish he would ask more serious questions, but he wants these to be reunions, so things need to be kept rather light.  It can be frustrating, but I completely understand why he gives them soft-ball questions. The responses to some serious queries might embarrass others in the reunion, or make them feel uncomfortable.  The last thing Alan wants in a reunion is for someone to regret their decision to participate.  If we want more serious questions that might get into criticizing others, trouble in the studio, or conflicts with co-workers, he probably needs to do that in one-on-one interviews.  And I don't know if he has any interest in doing that.  

So before we criticize his interviewing skill too much, we need to think about his fundamental reason for holding them.  And I don't think it's to dig up dirt.  

Edited by Neil Johnson