Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Why Victoria was killed off, I don't know. To fuel Vicky's desire for a share of the Spaulding family fortune?

But, of course, Vicky arrived in town incognito as Vicky Brandon, Dr. Michael's assistant and an occasional date of Griffin Williams.

I preferred the original cool and icy Vicky to the later brash and loud recast.

quote name="cassadine1991" post="1347359" timestamp="1404667713"]

I have a question about Brandon Spaulding's life in Barbados, saw some clips of Victoria Tamerlaine (sp) from 1984, wonder why GL never brought her back and then killed her off-screen when granddaughter Vicky arrived in the 90s

• Members

December 1973 TV Radio Mirror. Don Stewart's ribald love life was one of the mainstays of 70s soap articles, along with the marital troubles of Ed Mallory and the very happy marriage of Eileen Fulton (oops).

I think toward the end of the decade he revealed that he was married with a child and had just kept quiet about it.

Hot photo though. A few years later more soap guys like Joel Crothers and George Reinholt started doing this more often.

TVRM1273007_zpsd3c53e15.jpg

TVRM1273008_zps1db8939a.jpg

TVRM1273019_zps78129314.jpg

• Members

Thanks for finding that article, Carl. I believe it was P & G, CBS or someone in the publicity department that didn't want it revealed that Don was married and had a child, because he was insanely popular in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I don't know if they thought that viewers would be less attracted to him (and therefore less likely to tune in to GL) if they knew he was married in real life.

• Members

He would have been great to bring back to replace Ed as family patriarch. Though the actor was supposed to be kind of an ass, maybe he had changed at this point. But yes, he looked like he hadn't aged at all.

I would love to have seen him and Alan go at it and paired him with Alex....(though I don't know if he and Marj would have worked well...they needed an icy Alex to get her pipes melted by a guy her age.)

• Members

From what I gather, he was not well-liked by many on GL. Even his on-screen daughter, Elissa Leeds (Hope) didn't have many kind things to say about him (from a message from me she replied to) - she said he and Melinda Fee were not liked by the majority of the cast because they were arrogant and mean, and he showed up rarely knowing his lines. (I don't know if they still had teleprompters on the GL set at that time, but they probably did since it was the early 70s.)

But she did have plenty of nice things to say about pretty much everyone else in the cast that she worked with - her best friend among them was Frannie Myers (Peggy). She was the only kid on the show then, so a lot of the other actors kind of took her under their wings. Elissa said she absolutely adored Charita Bauer, and called Victoria Wyndham (before she defected to AW), Nancy Addison (pre-RH) and Caroline McWilliams absolute sweethearts - and that Theo Goetz was just as adored as Papa Bauer was.