• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

TimWil,

Thank you for all of those GL tidbits. It's always disheartening to read more about how Don Stewart was at GL. But, his attitude also explains why Mike never had any long term relationship on GL after Leslie died. I've heard rumors that he and Beverlee McKinsey didn't get along too well, even though Pam Long was building up a Mike/Alexandra/Lillian triangle in 1984.

That was also interesting to read regarding Marsha Clark and John Wesley Shipp being Marland "spies"...

• Members

LOL..I always thought MH was hot in a difly kind of way (though back then they had no such term...) and yes this was his later years when he was "paunchy," which was funny as he looked like a normal guy...(and would never have been cast on a soap in the last 25 years.) Peter Simon, eh not so much there.

• Members

Hey, I myself have been attracted to "paunchy" guys! Is "bloated" a better term? Hulswit just looked unhealthy in those last few years on the show.

No way did I find Peter Simon attractive but I did find him appealing as Ed Bauer. Richard Van Vleet looked like a store mannequin.

• Members

I thought that the best of Dr. Ed Bauer (by far) was Robert Gentry.

I liked Mart Hulswit a lot, both on The Guiding Light and in his much shorter role as Ralph on All My Children.

I never cared for Richard van Vleet in his soap opera roles (All My Children, Guiding Light), but I don't have that dislike when I see him in primetime shows or movies. I guess that this is because he resumed the roles from other actors who I liked better.

I liked Peter Simon on other soap operas (The Edge of Night, Search for Tomorrow, As the World Turns), but I never saw him on Guiding Light.

I know that Larry Bryggman was hired to play one of the brothers in the early 1960s. I don't remember which one (Mike or Ed) that he was to play, but I am thinking that it was Ed. He opted to enter military service instead.

• Members

I must have seen Robert Gentry when he returned briefly to play Ed but I just can't remember it. I was very glad to hear from my friends in the business that Gentry got pulled back from the precipice by the AIDS cocktail. When I saw him on the street in NYC in the late 80s he looked really terrible. Good for him.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

Uggh, I agree, Van Fleet was indeed a store mannequin. I hated him as Ed..you could see him reading the cue cards. Gentry's return as Ed was good...I liked him. He had more of a strength then Simon had (and no fish lips) but you could tell Ed still had his demons. I really wish they would have written for him at that time, especially with Carmen and gang coming soon. I also wish they kept him as paterfamilias with isssues (with Ross playing the solid Mike Bauer role) and not scenery chewing Justin Deas and the wretched Buzz Cooper.

• Members

I liked Hilliard as Hart. He wasn't the best actor but I enjoyed the rapport he had with Roger and with Dinah. I hated Grillo as Hart and being paired with Cassie and how Dinah went nuts over him. I know Grillo pretty much made Hart expendable but I never liked how they offed him.