Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've heard lots of comments and rumors about Stewart and his attitude on the set during his tenure at GL, so take the following with a grain of salt - similar to George Reinholt, Stewart allegedly became more arrogant as his popularity rose with the show (both of these men even started on their respective shows during the same year!). I believe GL was still using teleprompters during the early 1970's, but even in the November 1977 episode that was released on the "Phillip Spaulding" DVD, you can clearly see Stewart looking off camera for lines. The reason Stewart remained so long was because of enormous popularity. Had GL had an Executive Producer like Rauch during the 1970's, Stewart might have shared the same fate as Reinholt. As it happens, he managed to last 9 years longer on his show than George did on AW.

I never believed this rumor, but one contact from the past stated that Stewart allegedly had a hand in getting Lynne Adams off GL in 1976 because he wanted Mike "free" for future story.

I've also heard that Mart Hulswit was difficult, as well. Has anyone else heard this one?

Edited by zanereed

• Members

I haven't heard that one. But Elissa told me that she loved Lynne Adams and preferred her over Barbara Rodell (her predecessor in the role of Leslie). Of course, Elissa had left GL several years before Lynne did. She said it was hard to play the adoring daughter to Don Stewart, and required real acting.

• Members

Detective Cutter dies

Nola confronts Ed and Lillian on their affair

Lizzie admits to killing Carl (Hayden Panettiere remains one of my favorite Lizzies)

Lizzie goes to see Marina and.Shayne (I loved Crystal better here than on OLTL)

http://youtu.be/IqSTczFaXlE

Why were the writers writing Phillip like this?

http://youtu.be/7Couu3gDpn8

Got to say I liked GL's teen scene around this time

Edited by cassadine1991

• Members

Thanks for sharing those videos!

I had forgot everyone got food poisoning at Matt and Vanesssa's wedding.

Crystal Hunt eventually became adequate by the time she left but she was overall terrible. I liked Julia Barr's daughter and Rylan a whole lot better. In addition to scheming, they were trying to make Lizzie a sociopath and psychotic with an Electra complex. They had her chopping off baby doll heads and attempting to hurt a pregnant Olivia out of jealousy. It was also painful to watch.

Phillip had originally pushed Olivia away after thinking she lied about the paternity of her baby being his. They reconciled but Olivia became threatened by Lizzie to the point Lizzie tried to cause Olivia to have a miscarriage. Olivia left town and as a result, Phillip starting going nuts. By the time Olivia returned she had given birth but lied to Phillip that the baby had actually died as a way to protect it from Lizzie. The lie caused Phillip to have a complete mental breakdown and would eventually lead Phillip to becoming unhinged to his for the rest of the year up through his "untimely demise".

• Members

Lizzie had definitely been through a lot before that, shooting Carl, being kidnapped twice, surviving leukemia, blackmailing Alan(that was Hirschlag) so I guess it did make some sense.

Personally I think the best Marah, Shayne ,and Marina were Laura Bell Bundy, Jeff Branson, and Aubrey Dollar respectively.

• Members

Cutter's death was as horrifying as Nadine's was, for different reasons.

I missed Cutter for a very long time. It didn't help that they started phasing out any non-Cooper or non-Cooper-related cops in the months that followed.

Edited by katie_9918

• Members

Cutter's death was pretty sad and terrible. I remember him writing MAR with his own blood trying to spell out Marion.

That's the first time I've heard that about Laibson. I don't know its accuracy, they named Wheeler EP immediately after announcing Conboy's firing. Wheeler had actually been on the short list in 2002 to replace Rauch but was considered too green at the time.

• Members

Yes, five years. She became executive producer in 2004.

Does anyone know anything about Wheeler's supposed plan to reboot the show back in 2007-2008? In Kim Zimmer's memoir, Zimmer claims that in tandem with the new production model that Wheeler wanted to rename the show The New Guiding Light. Zimmer's vague on the details, but I got the impression that the show was supposed to start from scratch.

• Members

Yes to all three, and especially to Aubrey. Always been a big fan of hers dating back to her GL days. She held her own in scenes with the likes of Robert Newman and Kim Zimmer, and I thought she could go someplace.

Was very sad to see her leave but happy to see she's had success. She does a lot of off, off Broadway theater but has had prime time luck (I still wonder if Women's Murder Club would be on the air yet if the writers strike hadn't happened). She's in the cast of David Shore's Battle Creek at midseason.

When I saw Aubrey's replacement, Kit Paquin, I went "Ugggggggh". Didn't last long. Then Mandy Bruno came on and I thought she'd do all right.

Laura Bell Bundy got shafted by the producers at the time. Wasn't there a weight issue? I know Kim was very upset at how she got treated. Of course Laura had the last laugh because she went on to be pretty successful in the theater...

Jeff Branson made a fantastic Shayne. He and Mandy Bruno had pretty good chemistry...