Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I loved Harley in her first stint, but Ehlers became harder and colder, and Harley lost her freshness. Ehlers would have been better off staying with GL to the end and then moving on to other avenues. Her bizarre, condescending slam against JR Martinez was shocking and I think it likely helped finish off the little that was left of her acting career.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Its weird, as I watch some scenes on You Tube, and Ehlers totally changed appearance and "style," in a few years. When I watch the scenes of her at the Bauer house after Abby leaves Rick (talk about a total change in body, MOL is smoking it up with his shirt off in that scene to a couple years later being a bowl of jello, also, I think when Abby left that was the last time Rick was entertaining, they should have kept her on and they would have been the nice normal couple in town) and granted I think Ehlers was preggers at the time but her face was fuller and her body looked more "normal," and she was pleasent and supportive in those scenes...years later it seems even if she had the same material she just came across as so sharp and unpleasant. I wonder if her personal problems became too much or she just needed to eat a damn cheesburger.

I think it also had to do with Harley going from being Ms. Everywoman and not always winning, to being THE romantic heroine who no one could resist. Is too bad as Harley was the only one I could tolerate in that annoying freaking family.

I wonder if she would have made a good Liza and playing a mean cold bitch would work for her (I think LW would make a great soap bitch but somehow she is alwys the romantic heroine..) Her best work in those last five years was playing Irna Phillips in the anniversary show.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I agree. She would have made a decent Liza. I could absolutely have pictured her back in the early 80s torturing Jenny and accusing Jesse of rape. I simply couldn't with Jamie Luner. I thought Mary Beth Evans would have also made a good Liza.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

It is funny thinking about the Conboy era now because it's hilariously obvious that they were trying to take the show back to the 80s, especially considering they forgot the parts that actually made the show great in that period. Consider the Carruthers story. It took both of the Tony and Annabelle mysteries of the mid-80s (including Susan Piper herself as Carrie!) and mashed them up and added a "Hall of Mirrors" set piece for good measure. What could possibly go wrong? Besides everything.

• Members

God I loved the show then...even with annoying Nick there. However, it was soon to go to hell in a hand basket..good by Bev Alex, hello Justin Deas scenery chewing Buzz! I love Jenna as a scheming bitch and not the Buzz loving pefume or whatever maker she was to become.

• Members

I'm glad Beth E didn't become a recast Liza.. she would have been wrong for the part. Early Liza came from an upper middle class family, was snobby and a mean girl.. plus had an underlying feminine quality.. at least when MW played the part. While JL totally didn't look like her.. she had the haughty, snooty sarcastic aspect of Liza down pat that I don't think Beth E could have nailed.

I do think Harley from 1987 to 1993 and 1997 to about 2001ish was a great character.. but she was always unlucky in love and was spunky. I do have to agree that Beth E's behind the scenes life probably colored her performances as Harley.

Off subject, I have a feeling that Drew and Michelle didn't kill Mick.. that he was killed after they left. It seemed to be hinted at and then dropped.