Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Bridget's only story in her last story on the show had been obsessing over Hart and degrading herself to win him over. She was the "bad" to Dinah's "good." Another reason I stopped watching the show in 1996.

By the time Rauch came in her only story was refurbishing Company and renaming it "Co." (which didn't last long...)

I do wish he'd let her have more of an exit.

I actually liked her return at the end. I wish they'd let her interact with Dylan, or had a little scene with the Bauers, but there really wasn't a reason to bring her back so it was obviously just done as a nice goodbye for the fans. I appreciated it.

• Members

I believe she refurbished Company while Laibson was still executive producer. They debuted the new set, which was then quickly redesigned when Rauch came on board as executive producer at the end of 1996. Just dawned on me that Laibson redesigned Company and redid the theme sing in 1996 and both changes were very unpopular with the audience.

• Members

Thanks for posting the link to the video Carl.

Rewatching some of that stuff from 1995/1996 just makes me angry again, aside from the Roger storyline, I stumbled upon scenes where Frank discovered Nadine's body and Cutter's death. There doesn't really seem to be a bright spot on the show around this time.

• Members

I'm keeping up with the regular uploads and, yeah, it is difficult to get through.

Then and now, I can't understand why Amanda was so "awful" that everyone was lined up against her.

Blake was unbearable (and had been since Dinah's arrival) and I'm once again looking forward to watching her lies blow up on her face.

The whole Roger/Dinah/Hart thing was so mean-spirited all the way around. While I did start off rooting for Dinah and Hart to nail Roger to the wall, all three parties have acted so disgusting that it's increasingly hard to figure out for whom we're actually supposed to be rooting.

Fletcher and Holly just completely fell off the map after they got saddled with that baby who was barely mentioned again.

The Spauldings were a complete mess with that blowhard Buzzard constantly getting the upper hand on them. This Phillip/Alan-Michael feud is pretty much "been there, done that," and we'd already just sat through it with Alan-Michael/Alexandra/Nick and then Alan/Alan-Michael with Alan doing some pretty disgusting stuff even for him.

The lack of Ed at this time blew a hole in the show that was always there when he wasn't around and we're still some time from Mary Stuart's debut as Meta, who did a little to fill in that hole left by there being NO steady, sane patriarchal/matriarchal presence of any kind, as we had already lost Henry and HB had already made his last appearance months before. Rick was nowhere near ready to take on the mantle of being the "elder Bauer," and his time before Phillip's return was completely wasted by throwing him into the Josh/Annie story. And then when Phillip returned, Rick returned to playing second banana to him.

This Vanessa story was horrible. The only saving grace was it brought Billy back temporarily (and opened the door for his permanent return later). It hardly helps that, upon rewatch, I've been finding a lot more to dislike about early Matt than I remember.

Reva is absolutely terrible and I still hate that they kept making Annie more and more pathetic and evil to prop her up.

What was done to the Grants was unforgivable and I'm still trying to figure out the point of Griffin and Marcus Williams.

At this point, I'm wishing Brent Lawrence could have made a return engagement to torture everyone some more at this point. What a tumbledown from that glorious (though not without some major flaws) period that was 1989-mid 1995.

Edited by katie_9918

• Members

Yea, Laibson redid Company into some "hip," urban lounge, which was supposed to be a neighborhood pub. Bridget was involved in the "Gaslighting Roger," storyline which was almost as weird as Blake going along with it..Bridget actaully had an okay relationship with Roger and smart Bridget would have used him to drive a wedge between Dinah and Roger. I did not want to see Bridget chasing after Steroid Hart but if they were going to have that, as least make her smart. Then they had her do the "Should I get platic surgery thing,' which was so unlike what Bridget had become. I remember a scene with Brigdet suggesting that to Roger and Zaz, played it so sensitively and fatherly and still Roger-ly.

I think the Rauch also didn't think she was hot enough but that is how Bridget worked, as a normal person. They could have kept her for years even if she didn't have big stories, she could have been the tough young version of GH's Aunt Ruby running Company and kind of filling Mo's role as least a Mo in training.